Thai-land & I

Trip Start Sep 21, 2011
Trip End Oct 27, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Thailand  , Bangkok,
Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thailand, officially the Kingdom of Thailand, is known as the "Land of the Free" since it is the only Southeast Asian country that has never been occupied by any European or other foreign power, except in war. The country was an absolute monarchy from 1782 until 1932, when rebels seized power in a coup and established a constitutional monarchy. Since then, Thailand has come under the rule of many governments, both civil and military. The country was known as Siam until 1939 (when it was renamed Thailand), and again for a few years in the late 1940s. In 1949 the name Thailand was adopted a second time.

Thais also call their country as the “Land of Smiles.” It is really worthy to be called such a name  since everywhere you can see smiling faces.

Though we stayed in Thailand for 33 hours only, we were able to visit a lot of places. I, together with my friends, arrived in Suvarnabhumi Airport, Thailand at 11:30PM of September 21st. Upon our arrival, we were warmly welcomed by the Thais. From the airport, we took a taxi going to our guest house, Rambuttri House. The taxi driver was so friendly to us. He taught us some words in Thai language. He also showed to us the video that he took during the blessing ceremony for his new taxi. He also played some Thai music that almost made us fell asleep. 

On September 22nd, we woke up early to prepare for our one-day tour. The first place that we visited was the floating market at Damnoen Saduak which sells vegetables, fruits, etc  in the old traditional way of selling from small boat. It took us time to choose what food to eat since some of us are picky eaters. However, we still manage to eat the super hot and spicy tom yum. On our way to the Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha from the floating market, we passed by the Royal Thai Handicraft Center where we enjoyed taking pictures with the furniture, sculpted buddhas and elephants, leather goods and textile products which the Center sells. Just like other Asians, we chose to take pictures rather than buying.  Aside from the Grand Palace and Temple of Emerald Buddha, we also visited several temples where we saw different kinds of Buddha, sitting, standing, reclining, etc. We ended our day in with a tour in Khao San Road where we bought some stuffs for ourselves and our family and friends. Though it was raining during that time in Khao San, we still enjoyed our tour. At 12 midnight, we rode on a taxi going to Mon Chit Terminal where we slept until 3AM. Our bus going to Aranyaprathet left the terminal at 4AM. From Aranyaprathet, we rented a tuktuk that took us to Poipet, Cambodia/Thailand Border. Before got a tuktuk, we played charades with the tuktuk drivers since all them do not know how to speak English. After 10 minutes of charade, one tuktuk driver got the answer. He took us to Poipet.
Sawadee kha, Khopkhun kha, Chai and Mai Chai—these are the words that I learned from my 33-hour stay in the Land of the Free.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: