Earthquake Claims in Virginia?
Trip Start Mar 23, 2013
217Trip End Jul 31, 2013
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
What I did
I reluctantly said yes. Dale is going on terminal vacation in 2 weeks and I really wanted to be home when he came in the door that last time. Plus we’d planned to go to the eastern sierras for a little retirement getaway with some good champagne to celebrate.
Unfortunately the company I do lots of storm work for has asked for me to work on several occasions but due to vacations I’d turned them down
When a Cat adjuster agrees to go work a storm they have about 48 hours to get on site. I usually take longer as I drive and pull my RV. I can get away with taking 3 days to get on-site as the company knows that I’ll start working while on the road and stay as long as possible at the end of the storm.
As mentioned this is a major change of plans as we had planned a little retirement getaway in about 10 days. Unfortunately, the RV is not ready to go; we had some small items break that are now in the middle of repairs plus it needs 2 new tires.
We decided that this time I’d fly, get on location sooner, hence work sooner and Dale will drive across country by himself after he stops working on Sept 5th. Kids will all be in town the weekend after he stops so he can get the repairs completed, visit with kids and then head on to wherever I am.
Dale driving across the country by himself, pulling the RV is a complete reversal for us and very strange for me. I’ve driven back and forth so many times from home to Florida or Virginia or N.C. but he has never done that. Now I’m already worried about him!
After buying airplane tickets, reserving a hotel and a car I finally turned on the TV to see that the hurricane will head right to my location. GREAT! So not only am I going to fly into the hurricane area but will be staying in the middle of it.
I made sure to pack candles, bars to eat in the event of no power but didn’t think to buy a new inverter to charge my laptop.
So we will see if this hurricane and the earthquake will produce some work. If it does We will work as long as possible and then plan to head north, maybe visit some family, go into Canada then head home.
I’d gotten a really early start on packing and thought we’d be able to get a good night sleep but alas, there are too many things to check and take care of before leaving for an indefinite time. It’s already 1:30a.m. and 5 a.m. will come too soon.