Full Day Guided Kayaking Tour!

Trip Start Oct 31, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Kiwi Park Motels and Holiday Park
What I did
Kahu Kayaks
Shag Harbour
Arches of Tonga
Anchorage Bay

Flag of New Zealand  , South Island,
Thursday, December 8, 2011

Today we woke up at 6:30 because we were doing a full day guided Kayaking Tour! We went to the guiding place, 5 minutes up the road from our campground, and got everything ready. We would be doing 5 hours of hard open sea kayaking, and about 2 hours on various beaches. When we got there, we went to get our lunches for the day, and hopped on the water taxi being pulled by a tractor going to the launch. When we got there, we started driving in our water taxi to the beach where we would start our Kayaking journey. When we got to the beach, we unloaded the Kayaks, and walked on the beach for a while. On the beach I found some cool clear Quartz crystal. When we left the beach, we kayaked for about 45 minutes through choppy sea waters to our first stop, Shag Harbour. This harbour was the first place the native Maori people settled, because it is so calm, and when its low tide there is no water in the cove. It is so beautiful, calm, and clear. On one of the beaches, I found a huge chunk of Quartz Crystal. When we kept paddling slowly through the cove, we saw some New Zealand Fur Seals on a tree log, they were very beautiful. When we left the cove, we kept rowing on and saw tons of Seals, both on rocks and swimming, and also, some jellyfish. These particular jellyfish don't sting. I picked up tons of them. It feels like a round Jell-O cake. They have no tentacles. Alot of them wash up on shore, and die by melting. We kept going to the Arches of Tonga, another 45 minute Kayak ride, and stopped at a beach there, for lunch. Our guide, Ethan, fresh brewed coffee, cappuccino’s, and hot chocolate with a mini brewer and propane canister. Our guide was very nice, cool, and educational. He showed me tons of things on the beach and explained sea facts. There was a Seal on this beach, and we got about 10 feet away. I found more cool things on this beach, like Quartz, "Cats Eyes", a round stone with swirls, made by snails to cover they’re shell entrance hole, and other things. We had a chicken sandwich, an apple, and a huge muffin for lunch. I also had a granola bar. We were at that beach for an hour, and then started making our way to another beach. It was a 45 minute ride to there too, and we were at that beach for an hour. Our guide told us Maori Legends, and we relaxed there for a while. I went again, searching for cool things on the beach, and saved lots of jellyfish by putting the washed up ones in the sea. When we left that beach, we went to Anchorage Bay, our last stop, a 45 minute kayak ride. When we got there, after seeing a Penguin in the water, more seals and more jellyfish, we beached the kayaks and boarded the water taxi. On the way back, we stopped at another beach, where we picked up 10 people. On the way back, we dropped my dad off at a beach because he wanted to run from there to Kahu Kayaks, a 13 kilometre run. When we got back, I went and ordered a cheeseburger from the restaurant in the parking lot. When my dad got back, we started driving towards Murchison, the town were in now. When we got to the campground, we checked in and we got here at the perfect time, the baby Lamb feeding. The campground is on a beautiful farm, and we can feed the animals, etc. Feeding the baby Lambs milk was very fun, they are crazy when they’re hungry. After that, I came back to the RV, and now I’m writing. Thanks for reading.
Slideshow Report as Spam


Chris on

You write fantastic stories keep them comming

mikkelgrabinski on

Thank you!!

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: