Finally, we see a beach!!!

Trip Start Jan 23, 2010
Trip End Jun 06, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Thailand  , Prachuap Khiri Khan,
Sunday, February 7, 2010

We decided that 17 hours on a train didn't quite test us enough! So, we boarded the sleeper train Chiang Mai and headed back to Bangkok then on our next train to Hua Hin. It seems that when you board a train in Thailand you should look at the arrival time and add on at least 3 hours…… 22 hours later we arrived in Hua Hin! Beacause the sleeper train had been running late we missed out connecting train, so we were given a refund and told we could get the next one, pretty good we thought but actually quite an experience! There were no 2nd class seat left so we had to travel 3rd class…. not recommended!! We had 4 hours of madness – no air-con, a young ladyboy prancing up and down the aisle in his skin tight, bright pink 'Play Girl’ jeans, a woman with a huge box of hens flying around, people constantly trying to sell us this disgusting dried squid, the most horrific smelling toilet, an old woman raking through the bins for cans and plastic bottles (you get money for recycling), and a huge group of young Thai student drinking out of buckets and getting more drunk by the second. We can’t complain too much as it only cost us 88p!!!

We arrived in Hua Hin which is described as "a sanitised version of Thailand for the masses and the long time retreat of Thai Royalty" in the lonely planet guide – although we’re backpacking this sounded very appealing after that train journey. Ian (Michael’s uncle and the ‘Don’ of  PBV) picked us up at the station and we went back to his holiday home in Pranburi Beach Village (PBV) where 4 met 4 lovely Norwegian girls who were also staying at the holiday house.

Our time at Hua Hin was very relaxing and Ian made us very welcome – we’re loving staying with friends and family along the way who spoil us!!! We spent time at a lovely resort and beach which was just beautiful. We relaxed with a massage at ‘Holiday Massage’, a beach front massage place – they do amazing foot massages which also include a head, neck and shoulders massage and pineapple and tea after. We had ‘a few’ G&Ts at Pong’s beach bar, which is just the cutest little bar with swing seats! Whilst at Pong’s we lit some lanterns, made wishes and watched them fly high into the sky.

On the last day we got up very early and watched the sun rise at the beach – just amazing! Afterwards, we went to Tiger Temple, a wildlife sanctuary. Basically, it’s a monastery where animals have been donated to the monks by villagers. The monks aim to provide a good environment for the animals and it really seems to work. The first tiger cub was donated after it’s mum was killed by poachers. Since then, more and more tigers have been donated. We were able to get up really close to the tigers and see how they spend their time at the temple. It was great and a wee bit scary too. The highlight of our day was getting to feed and play with the cubs. There were 2 cubs (brother and sister) who were 7 weeks and an older more feisty cub who was 10 weeks old – so cute!!!   

And so we bid farewell and decided we’d try a bus back to Bangkok this time – it seems the buses are just as ‘good’ as the trains in Thailand…………….We arrived back in Bangkok for 2 nights before our next move

Total nights in Pran Buri = 3
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: