Trip Start Jul 04, 2010
163Trip End May 10, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
For 3 months we were not sure which direction our lives would take. Settling down for a few years in San Diego was one possibility. Traveling the world by bicycle or with backpack was another. Dave had interviewed twice for a job in San Diego which they eventually offered to someone else. But they asked if Dave would be interested in one of 7 positions that would be filled in the next 3 to 6 months. Since no firm offer was made, we decided to move on and follow our dream and get on our bicycles and head south.
We're are ecstatic!!
* We priced our cars for a quick sale and they sold fast at our asking prices. (No more car insurance bills)
* We updated our travel immunizations and completed medical and dental check-ups.
* We both completed a 5 hour comprehensive bicycle maintenance course conducted by REI's master mechanic. Now we know the difference between a cog set and cassette and our bikes are perfectly tuned. We picked up the necessary spare parts, nuts and bolds, spokes and tools.
* We installed front pannier racks on both bikes!
* Updated our camping kit with a new tent, stove, coffee pots, etc. We are now proud owners of Therma-Rest Trekker's chairs which promise to provide great comfort around the campfire!
* Other new items for our travels include a back-up drive to back-up Michelle's Netbook that we purchased in November, a new water/shock proof Olympus camera, an unlocked GSM cell phone which we plan to use with locally purchase sim cards, a dog "dazer", etc.
With a few remaining things to complete (including taxes), we plan begin riding south along highway 1 between the 11th and 16th of April.