Trip Start Jan 16, 2007
51Trip End Mar 01, 2007
Show trip route
- In Santa Clara, a young smiling girl, her arms out the back window of a parked emerald green buick waiting for more passengers.
- A blonde woman on a bike wheels past me, her two blonde sons with their red school neckties before and behind her, all smiling.
- In the shadow of a pink wall in Trinidad, a man carries a red and yellow fighting cock, its feet bound in twine.
- Lucy, her white face gleaming amongst all the rich, dark visages of the Cuban children on a goat-drawn cart passing the neo-classic columns of Parque Vidal in Santa Clara.
- Across a vast space, the memorial to Che. An old black man on an old blue bicycle passes unhurriedly before me.
- Lucy calling "Mom, we're swimming!" Her vast smile surrounded by the turquoise of the swimming pool, palm trees beyond. My mom pulls her gleefully through the water.