Sinking Feeling - Venice, & should skip bacon!
Trip Start May 11, 2011
9Trip End May 20, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
On the spur of the moment, we decided to take our first organized tour of the trip! We took the "Hidden Venice Walk", where we had a very enthusiastic Italian woman, named Maria. The trip began in Rialto, and man, could she roll her Rs in R-I-A-L-T-O!! I think she was showing off
After the tour, we had lunch at the base of the Academia Bridge, did some final shopping, had some more gelati, and returned to the hotel terrace for cappuchino.
Bob's musings - According to the tour guide, we are seeing Venice in its final decline.
After a crowded childhood, I like my space. Too many people here! Though it is fantastic. The City has a proud history of cross cultural, and innovation in trading. It was a cross roads of Asia, North Africa, Northern Europe, were the residents saw themselves as cross cultural and members of the world, more so than any other Italian. It is sad to hear the future for Venice is uncertain.
Funny that in all this time we haven't seen anyone playing in the streets...I expected a pick-up game of polo among the younger boys, or maybe Marco-Polo
Last night's adventure will forever be remembered, and I vow never to make fun of mice in mazes. We had a difficult time making our way around as the sun went down and we could not read the map, nor have the bearing of the sun for reference. I am going to study the aerial photos for I am sure the maze spells out - Bob is stupid!
Top 5 Memories of our trip - Bob
5. This moment - the night before we are both healthy and we weren't lost or captured.
4. Sitting in the garden at the hotel in Siena overlooking the Tuscan hillside.
3. quartro frommaggi pizzas
1. The Bells of the Duomo in Florence ..... enjoying Maryellen videoing the moment
Top 5 Memories of our trip - Maryellen
5. Arriving in Venice - coming up from the train station - seeming to be in a different place in time!
4. All the beautiful flowers in the window sills and boxes of ALL the Italian towns.
3. Seeing the moon as it rose over the Il Campo in Siena
2. Listening to the gondolier singers as they road by our hotel in Venice. perfect weather, perfect setting, perfect moment!
1. Returning to the things I cherish most - my children! OK, note to them, did Dad list you? So move me up your favorite parent list!! Seriously, would have to be like Bob, listening to the bells of the Duomo, at night, on the rooftop terrace of our hotel, as we sipped Proseco.