Sigiriya – Habarana - Giritale
Trip Start Mar 01, 2011
39Trip End Sep 08, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
* Listening to music in Thilak's car: he played some traditional Sri Lanken music; 'can you feel the love tonight’ by Elton John – I had a Lion King moment
* Climbing the rock fortress and seeing the monkeys
* Taking cover under a tree at the almost top during torrential rain and wind
* The views at the top of the rock – breath-taking
* Riding on an elephant (called Raja) for the first time
* Sticking a banana up the elephant’s nostril (accidental!)
* Standing on the elephant in water kissing my new husband (ohhhh)
* Having a shower after a long hot day and after getting mud all over me from taking a "Flavell" shortcut
Mini Squirrels (don’t think that is the official name but they are cute and could fit in the palm of your hand), Water Buffalos, King Fisher (and other bird names that went in one ear and out the other – Mart got the bins out to have a look at them all, and he pretends he is not a bird watcher), cows, cats, dogs, elephants, geckos, tortoise, monkeys, and a deer.
Thillak bought us some Lychees from the side of the road – delicious! And we bought some bags of cashews from road stall – also very good.
To overtake cars during the day you beep your horn, to overtake at night you flash your high beams and sometimes leave the high beams on and try and blind the oncoming traffic.
Entry by Martin:
Today was our first day of the tour