The Galapagos

Trip Start Nov 08, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Ecuador  , Galapagos Islands,
Wednesday, February 25, 2009

After eight days of sailing (and some motoring) we arrived safely at Santa Cruz in the Galapagos. The trip was calm and easy, which is a good. Our days were spent thinking about food, preparing it, eating, and cleaning up after. That and roaming around the deck of the boat, trying to stay within the shade of the sails. It got really hot during the day, but that could be fixed by pouring buckets of cold Pacific Ocean water on our heads or by jumping off the back of the boat while holding on the the transom. Im reading alot. We spent some days motoring because there was absolutely no wind or very little wind. Other days we spent hoisting and lowering the spinnaker in attempts to catch the slight breezes that came from behind us. At night, we rotate covering the 3 night watches, and I spent that time practicing trimming the sails, looking at the stars, and trying not to fall asleep! Anyone who knows how much I love to sleep, knows how hard that is. Along the way we saw lots of marine life--a whale, dolphins, turtles--and even though its 800 miles from Panama to the Galapagos, we saw sea birds fishing in the waters around us every day!

We arrived in the Galapagos Saturday morning and spent the day touring the town of Puerto Ayora. Since then weve gone snorkeling, hiking around the island, and buying more provisions for the long trip ahead. Wildlife is why people come here, and there has been plenty to see--sharks, iguanas, blue footed boobies, finches, rays, sea lions everywhere, and even giant tortoises mating! One day, I was snorkeling with Adrian, a fellow crewmate from France, when we saw a whitetip shark. Then I looked down and saw that all along the sea floor there were maybe 10 more of them, just waiting. It didnt help that Adrian told me that they were incredibly aggressive and kept humming the theme to Jaws underwater. They are not that aggressive it turns out, but a shark is a shark, you know? I took a tour of a nearby island, Isabela, yesterday, and swam with sea lions not two feet away. They kept circling us strange humans trying to figure out what we were about. Some wanted to play with us and we tried, clumbsily, to oblige.

Tomorrow we head to the Marquesas, the longest leg of our journey at about 25-30 days. Ill update again once we reach land again! Hope all is well!
Slideshow Report as Spam


womandork on

that sounds awesome!!!!
i love that you were around boobies! i miss snorkeling and doing what you did... i only did it a couple of times and it kinda changed my life. your trip kicks ass!

phasersmrsolo on

youre sailing....
here's to a strong tailwind getting you back to land fast!

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: