May 29/30 mon-tues

Trip Start May 11, 2006
Trip End Jun 05, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Philippines  ,
Monday, June 12, 2006

We woke up in malapasque and had a little breakfast and left to travel back to Cebu. We were lucky and met with a bus that had air conditioning. It definitely was a different trip for us, although the isles werre still lined with plastic stools for the extra passengers. We made it back to Cebu and hoped on Jeepneys to get to the mercedes hotel. It was a decent place, all things considering. We were happy. A few of us took another jeepney into another area of town to look for a restaurant, and ended up going into a nice hotel which had a restaurant in the lobby and we ate there. We were clearly not dressed appropriately, but when you're a group of Americans in a third world country the rules seem to slide easily. We all got stake and it was pretty good, but it made me very sick again, but at this point it was just food in general, not anything specific. When we walked in i noticed that there were only men eating, and it stayed like that until we left, but no one said anything, so who knows what the story was. We ate this meal pretty early, and went back to the hotel and later went to the internet cafe, and then Eileen and I went to jolibee to eat again because for some reason an ice cream sundae seemed like the best idea in the world. It was pretty good. Jolibee was ridiculous as usual. It was a pretty big place (this is the McDonald's of the Philippines if I haven't already noted), and there was all of this construction going on and people were just hammering away on tiles which was so loud, however, no one but Eileen and i seemed to even notice.

5/31 Tues

Today we took a boat to Cambuhat to study Ecotourism, which was my area of research. I was really excited and it proved to be an interesting day. We arrived in Cambuhat and took a bus down the road a few miles and met the women who were in charge of our tour. We boarded smaller canoe like boats (2 of us per boat with one of them men from the village paddling) and headed to the tour area. We were served a delicious lunch of oysters, crabs, rice, chicken, mussles, shrimp, fish, and delicious crab omlettes and coconut and tons of other stuff that I can't even remember. It was all good though. Unfortunately my stomach was feeling prety week and I couldn't eat as much as I would have liked to. Interviewing people for research was difficult becuase the language barrier was particularly strong in this area, but it all worked out pretty well. There was a really loud thunder and lightening storm over us while we were there which was cool to see on the river. We bused back to the boat and were back to Cebu for one more night. We went to the mall nearby and ate Japanese and tipped really low I guess by mistake.. I don't really know because i got really sick again and was searching for a bathroom while the paying was happening, but anyway the waitor told us to never come back again, which I also didn't hear but Dan said it was in the clearest English he had heard in the Philippines which was funny. When we got back to the hotel I was still feeling a little queasy and fell asleep right away for the night.
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: