Day 167: January 29, 2008 Playa Bonita

Trip Start Aug 15, 2007
Trip End Mar 01, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Argentina  ,
Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Day 167: January 29, 2008 Playa Bonita

I got up at 8:15 and grabbed the dirty dishes from the previous evening. The tide was way out so I walked across the intertidal zone to the water and scrubbed them with sand. I could see the tide rising as I scrubbed and had to retreat landward 10 m by the time I finished.

I got Will up and we each had a banana and coffee before returning to the roadcut. Once again, it was a clear, blazing hot day. The rocks on the old roadbed were very difficult to drill, turning to mud and breaking if they weren't attacked just right. Fortunately, Will is an astute learner and was able to get enough samples from each site for the study but it was slow going. I am astounded at how much traffic there is on the highway. I remember that in 1989, there were hardly any vehicles on this road. It was also interesting to see the number of vehicles that overheated and had to stop at the crest of the hill.

We were both fried by 3:30 so we decided to go into Rada Tilly for a couple of hours and let the sun get lower in the sky. We discovered that the YPF station sold decent sunblock, unlike La Anonima, so we each bought a bottle. Then, we hung out on the beautiful beach for half an hour. When the supermarket reopened after its siesta break, we went grocery shopping and bought our standard dinner supplies.

It was still hot when we returned to the roadcut at 5:30 but by 7:30 we had finished, collecting a total of 20 sites. I decided to postpone collecting from the base on the south side until a future opportunity when I have the data from these samples, if they work. Will was outstanding as a field assistant. I couldn't have done this without him. In appreciation, I gave him my rock hammer.

We returned to Playa Bonita and camped in a different place among the dunes. Our evening went pretty much as it had the night before, although our side dish was green beans and mushrooms. The moonrise was beautifil.Once again, we were surprised that it was 1:15 when we decided to crawl into our sleeping bags. There was a pretty stiff wind so sand blew over us as we slept. I woke up a few times to find it caked around
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: