Shopping and Saying Goodbye

Trip Start Feb 10, 2012
Trip End May 11, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bangladesh  ,
Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pretty relaxed weekend in Dhaka....
Apparently I'm on a baking kick.  After making brownies for work, I made this hot-mess of a cake in honor of Matthew's birthday/leaving.  It could have turned out worse considering our oven has no degree markings (1-8 only) and has to be lit with a match!

The cake was served at a small get together at our house. Some of the other students, some of Matthew's hash (running) friends, and even two Bangladeshis from work attended.  It was pretty relaxed--illegal drinks, snacks mostly made by Matthew, and chatting until around 1 or so.  And our new roommate came over as well.  It was nice to meet her.  She's in her last year of med school and matched in peds.  She seems like she will be fun to live with!

Friday was Matthew's last day in Dhaka so we went shopping to get some gifts for his family.  I tried to go to church first.  Normally I bring my photo id and forget my Bible, but today I was running late and brought the Bible but not the id.  Let me tell you, the Bible is unfortunately much less useful for getting into the American Club!  Apparently, my face didn't do the trick either.  So by the time I walked home again, the service was already mostly over.  

So it was time to console myself with shopping!   We also found some delicious iced coffee.  I'll be hitting that up again for sure :)  I also stopped in to say hello to my favorite salwar kameez shop and spotted a very lovely red and white outfit (the colors you are supposed to wear on New Year's which is April 14).  I didn't want to make Matthew wait while I got sucked into Salwar-world so I promised I would come back the next day when I could spend as much time as I liked!

After shopping and walking all morning and into the afternoon I was pretty beat, so I chilled at home working on this blog while Matthew went running (crazy I know!)  In the evening, we headed out to the Bhaga (British Club) where they were having an open mic night of sorts and a texmex barbecue.  yum!  The music was alright but there were big breaks between performances. I did like some of the bengali music that was played, though!

Matthew left uneventfully early Saturday morning and Saturday was Gurpreet's last day, so repeat previous day except with Gurpreet and Mary :)  We went to the usual suspects, Aranya and Aarong but also made it all the way out to famed Bashundhara City Mall.  

From Wikipedia,
"The mall has space for 2,500 retail stores and cafeterias and also possesses a large underground gymnasium, a multiplex styled movie theater and top floor food court along with an indoor theme park. The fully air-conditioned shopping mall with rooftop gardens is considered a modern symbol of the emerging city of Dhaka." 

Regrettably, I did not research this properly before going and we only went shopping at a micro-finance type store that Gurpreet wanted to look at and then I bought another pair of sandals (which I am happily wearing at work this morning :))  Where was this gymnasium and theme park?  Clearly on other levels!  Guess I'll just have to go back, although I really think that I am done buying things....
I also went back to hang out at my favorite salwar shop and bought my outfit for New Year's and two other salwar as well.  I just can't resist!  I'll be looking quite glamorous on my trip to tiger country next weekend.

Summary--I am now the proud owner of SEVEN salwar kameez (probably not that necessary seeing as I am only here for another month and a half, but they are just so pretty!) and 7 nose studs for my nose that isn't even pierced yet!  Again, probably not that necessary but they are just so pretty (and super cheap here)! haha
I did get lots of comments on my attire at work this morning, though :)

Also just in case you were wondering, I do think prior illnesses do protect against later ones, so they are doing me some good!  After eating at Forchette (Italian), Gurpreet, Rebecca, and Mary all were super sick, but I was just dandy.  However, seeing as I didn't know that Gurpreet was also sick (she was on her flight back to US :( ), I then ate the delicious leftovers.  And I was still not sick.  Today, though, 3 days later, I am feeling a bit questionable but not with the vomiting that the three of them had!  
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: