History Galore, everywhere you Look!!!
Trip Start May 01, 2006
51Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
We saw a performance of the traditional music, called Fado. Although not able to understand the words, i imagine this is just like an Italian opera, where you can tell from the expression and the mood of the beat and the singer exactly what is going on in the piece. The performance was part of a special music festival on in Lisbon. The concert was at the old, ruined castle on the high point in Lisbon, providing fabulous views over the city.
Another spectacular place to visit is the Igreja de sao Vicent de Flora (a church and convent). Although this place is not highly , it was certainly a highlight of my sightseeing tour of Lisbon, with a huge amount of history.
There are areas within Lisbon, almost suburbs, each with their own style and history.
- the quintessential cool area, right up on top of a steep hill (not uncommon in Lisbon, heaps of hills!!!), laced with cafes, bars, restaurants, antique shops...
-This is the area where the picturesque castle is located
- right near the castle is a cathedral (of course), also pretty spectacular.
- Lisbon has lots of trams, the one which runs through the narrow streets of barrio alto is especially scenic and fits through some pretty small gaps.
- the oldest neighborhood in the city, very easy to lose the crowds in the maze of alleyways and steps
- full of character, restaurants, fado bars...bit of an older crowd compared to barrio alto, but more of a lived in and community feel as well.
- on the edge of the cbd area, this barrio had a couple of nice park
- also a great deal of other historical things such as the roman ruins, egyptian, greek, heaps of rennaisance artworks and other european decorative items and furniture, chinese vases, chests....stacks of stuff a bonafide cross-section beautifully presented...well worth the visit.
- right in the thick of things; where the shopping is and spectacular large squares to sit, relax and take in the sites of the people of Lisbon