Trip Start Jan 12, 2006
238Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
1) The Gilmore Hotel was great. Reasonable price, great location and included transfers to and from the hotel. We booked a share bathroom but were given a room with bathroom without asking. Includes cable, Wi-Fi;
2) The Fish Pirate is a great place to eat, drink and watch some live entertainment;
3) Walking tour of Creek street highly recommended. Probably not worth paying $5 to go into Dolly'd House (an old brothel);
4) The salmon hatchery was great. See below;
5) Zip lining was great, expensive at $179 per person but good fun
6) If you are flying out of Ketchikan make sure you allow plenty of time as you need to catch a ferry to the airport. From town allow 45 minutes.
7) Alaskan Airlines charge $15 per bag when you leave Ketchikan.
Got in late evening so we dropped our bags and went to dinner at the Fish Pirate which served great seafood and had live entertainment. I got pulled up on stage to do a head, shoulders, knees and toes routine which turned into head, shoulders, ass and balls….. very funny…
There was a red light district in the day on 'the wrong side of the creek’ which is a great tourist attraction now. We visited Dolly’s House, a brothel still intact from the early 1900’s, see the picture of Dolly’s well used bed ;-).
Took a tour of a Salmon hatchery and learnt a heap about salmon. When salmon are spawned they memorize the minerals of the water in the creek where they were born in order to find their way back after 2 years to spawn their own…. Amazing…
Also did a tour of the Totem heritage centre to see some totem poles from the 1800’s…
Finished the stay with a zip lining tour which was cool. Zipped over the rainforest and got to see another black bear crossing a creek along with deer and a reindeer!!!.