Trip Start Jul 02, 2010
131Trip End Aug 31, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Well we are on our last full day in Naxos. Will be heading to Santorini for a couple of days tomorrow then fly to Bali. Steve isn't looking forward to the flights (long legs :)), but it will be worth it. We’re both very excited to see what Bali looks like.
The last few days have been very relaxing and I think I’ve reached one of my goals in life which is "Become a Lady of Leisure". Hey it’s only for 14 months, so I’m going to enjoy every minute of it!
We’ve been eating (alternating between our two favourite restaurants), reading, walking, playing in the water, Steve’s tried some windsurfing, and generally just relaxing
These are our favourite things about Naxos:
1) Greek food is yummy! It is definitely our favourite type of food so far. Nowhere else can you get a plate of olives for 2.50 Euros! We also love the Yialos special, spanokopita, stuffed tomatoes, stuffed grape leaves, fresh squeezed orange juice and waffles with ice cream. (There’s more but it’s making me hungry just thinking about it!)
2) St. George’s Beach. The beach is sandy, the water is shallow WAAAAAAAAYYYYY out, and because it’s shallow it’s pretty warm. We have both really enjoyed the beach.
3) The laid back attitude of everybody. Nothing and nobody is in a hurry, and that works just fine for me :)
4) Laundry Service. I can take a bag of clothes in and have someone wash, dry and fold them for 10 Euros and be done before the end of the day
5) Acceptance of dogs and cats. They’re all over. They wander into restaurants, wander the streets and take naps under cars. People feed them and pet them. Nobody yells at them or chases them away. You can even take your dog to work with you in your restaurant! (Plus there is the CUTEST little black puppy over by the laundry service. He just hangs out in the street or takes a nap in the doorway of the hotel where he lives. I walk down that street whenever I can just so I can see him!)
6) The weather. It’s the end of September and the temperature is still in the high 20’s every day. The sun shines every day.
7) Windsurfing. Steve had his first windsurfing experience here and really enjoyed it. He enjoyed it so much he went back another day and rented a board to try it out for another couple of hours. It’s definitely something he’ll try again on our adventure.
We'll definitely be be back to Greece. Maybe Naxos and a smaller less touristy island. Any suggestions?