Relaxing in Paradise and a Luau

Trip Start Mar 23, 2012
Trip End Mar 31, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Hawaii
Thursday, March 29, 2012

We decided to take it easy today and started the day with a drive to the Koloa post office to mail some postcards. While there, we decided to poke our heads into a few of the shops. I managed to stimulate the local economy at the Koa Lady shop. Bought 2 koa wood necklaces and 2 bracelets.

We didn't feel like making breakfast so I suggested we try Joe's on the Green--I had heard it was good. We arrived around 11am and it was pretty quiet. We were seated on the patio outside and really enjoyed our breakfast. I went really un-primal and had the banana macnut pancakes (with coconut syrup, of course!) and Patrick tried the super loco moco. Both were really really excellent.

We took a good portion of the day to relax and read on our lanai until we couldn't relax anymore and ventured down to Poipu for a little snorkel before we had to get ready for our evening luau. Snorkeling was a bit crowded but there were a lot of fish out!

That night we had reservations at Smith's Tropical Paradise Garden Luau. Patrick had never been to a luau before and I had never been to a real one either (when I went to the Big Island for a conference we had a luau-type thing but it wasn't a full luau I don't think). We had a great time at Smith's. We arrived at 5pm and did the tram ride through the gardens, then wandered around a bit on our own. The gardens themselves made the luau extra special it was fun to explore them. The food was excellent and the show, though I guess it may have been a bit tame or slow for some, reminded me more of old Hawaii (i.e., not as flashy as the newer shows; I kind of felt like I was at a giant Tiki Room in Disneyland but without the mechanical birds--I love the Tiki Room so I loved this).

On the drive back to Poipu, I rounded a corner and a little gecko scampered onto my windshield. Poor thing was holding on for dear life but I didn't know where to pull over since it was dark and I didn't know the roads in Kapa'a as well. As we got into Lihue, I was about to pull over, when he ran off to the side--I hope the little guy made it!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: