Trip Start Sep 24, 2008
Trip End Jun 20, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mexico  , Yucatan Peninsula,
Thursday, September 25, 2008

The trip from Cancun to Valladolid was good. The bus network is really well organised, on time, etc ... It makes it really easy to travel. What a change for me after 5 years of Irish transport! 2nd class buses (Oriente) are really comfy and have air co.

When we arrived in Valladolid the pavements were all destroyed in order to change some pipes, so we had a real challenge weaving and jumping everywhere while trying to keep our balance with our backpacks. We found the hotel without any problems and went for a traditional Yucatan meal (I think as long as there is chicken, cheese and mole it is traditional!). We did our first clothes wash in the sink and let it all dry on strings in the room. Very classy!!

The following day (26/09), we got up really early (6am) to go to Chichen Itza, the biggest Mayan archaeological site in Yucatan. We arrived there for 9am, which was great because 1) it was not as hot and 2) there were no buses full of tourists with their bun bags and white socks. We could actually take some pictures that were as good as those in the book (youīd be proud ,Delo!!). The temple is really impressive as is the whole site. Thereīs the temple of 1000 columns where Placido Domingo will do a concert next month (ca c'est pour Maman et Mamy), various sacrificial altars for the gods of rain where they sacrificed young female virgins, the cenotes (natural wells), a large court where they played some kind of a ball game and an observatory.

We were back in Valladolid by the early afternoon for a quick meal and a dip in the pool to cool us down. In the afternoon we visited the town a little bit. Itīs really cute, loads of churches everywhere (all full during mass). The end of the afternoon got really cloudy and suddenly the heavens just opened. We hid in a museum and waited for it to finished, but it just didnīt stop and we were trapped in the museum. The small museum was surrounded by water, the footpaths were submerged and the street was flowing almost like a river. It was a great spectacle tho! We decided to grab a taxi but to get one you had to walk in the floods (with water above your ankles). So I removed my sandals and walked in the floods like the locals (I know girls, eeeeeeeeew, don't want to know what is in there).
Slideshow Report as Spam

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures & Videos

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: