Relaxing on a felucca

Trip Start Sep 28, 2011
Trip End Nov 14, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Egypt  , Nile River Valley,
Friday, October 7, 2011

We got up about 6:30am, showered and went down for breakfast. Most of the group were going to Philae Temple so they left about 8 and the Brazil ladies and Mike and I checked off the boat and got a bus with all our groups luggage to our hotel for the day – Cleopatra. We wanted to use the internet but 4 places we walked to were closed. Walked along the Nile road then all the way through the markets. It seemed very dirty compared to our other visits, they had dug up the centre of the road and not repaired it properly so that made it seem even worse. Waited a while for Damian to arrive and we went out to the internet café with him, it was open this time. Used up our whole hour catching up with emails, facebook, Damian copied his photos onto his tablet. Walked back through the markets, bought a Coke each but really way too hot to enjoy it much. We stopped at the hotel instead of walking all the way through. Met up with Rob and we checked out the pool (no shade) so decided we'd all just rest in the room. Only 3 beds so Mike and I shared, Damian on one, Rob on the other. Didn’t really sleep much but it was good to relax in the aircon. We went down to meet Tarek about 2pm and the 5 of us walked down to the river to meet our felucca captain who took us on a sail around Elaphantine Island and some of the smaller islands. The felucca was one of the larger sleeping style ones with mattresses across the whole deck so we took our shoes off and lazed on those. The captain prepared us lunch of soup and bread, fried chicken, rice and veges, grapes for dessert. Put my feet over the edge in the water. We had a few small boys come up to the felucca on pieces of foam or small boats which they paddled then hung on to the edge of the felucca. A couple of them started to sing to us a medley of bits and pieces of songs. Sadly the time on the felucca came to an end (I think we could have stayed on there all day). Back at the hotel we swapped into another room where we all showered and tidied up. Mike slept but Damian and I went downstairs, me to read and update my journal, Damian to go to the Inernet café again. We had dinner included at the hotel and it was a nice dinner of soup and bread, chicken and rice, and fruit. We left in the bus to drive to the train station which we could have walked to as it was so close. We had to walk down and across to another platform and our train was already there. This time we were all together in one carriage. Again settled in for an even longer train ride – about 14 hours. Same deal as before – freezing cold and everyone smokes at the ends of the carriage and the smoke wafts in.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: