Hello Beach Life

Trip Start Jun 28, 2010
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
1770 Camping Grounds

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Saturday, December 18, 2010

So...we have finally got our travelling feet on again and we are continuing our journey to explore more of Australia.

Recently there has been a lot of flooding throughout Queensland meaning that a lot of the creeks over the road have led to roads being closed. In the week leading to the day we left Clermont we had been really worried that we wouldn't be able to make it to the coast. We left early on Monday morning to start the 550km journey to Agnes Water and the Town of Seventeen Seventy on the Capricorn Coast. As we approached numerous 'floodway' signs we felt lucky when all of them were clear and we managed to make a lot of progress on a journey that a few days earlier would have been impossible to make. We decided to stop for a last break in a small town called Miriam Vale. 50km away from Agnes Water before we completed our journey and just as we left, the road we needed to turn off onto was CLOSED! So, we managed to get 500km away from Clermont and ended up having to stay in Miriam Vale for the night before we could leave the next morning. Luckily the flooded creek waters had lowered so we were able to set off early to still get a full day and night at the coast in Agnes Water.

It was so brilliant to be by the sea, with winding coastal roads and green headland surrounding us. The campsite we stayed at in the town of Seventeen Seventy was in a perfect location, right on the beach which was lined with mangrove trees and small fishing boats. The sea was very calm and perfect to wallow in which is just what we wanted to do!

After staying here for one night, we made the short journey down the coast to the city of Bundaberg and then our second bout of bad luck happened....Poor old Trevor, our mighty Ford Falcon car sounded a bit like he was struggling to carry on! Everytime we started the engine it was making an ominous choking sound, so we decided to get it checked out at a garage. The mechanic informed us that we had a major problem with the engine and it would take three days to fix! Aaaahh! We were pretty devestated but tried to look on the bright side that at least it was fixable. The garage also gave us a courtesy car so we were able to get out and about still. So, instead of staying one night in Bundaberg it ended up being three nights!

On our first night, (the main reason for us coming to Bundaberg), we had booked to go on a nightly turtle tour at a beach called Mon Repos. It's nesting season for loggerhead turtles from November to February and Mon Repos has the largest population of nesting loggerhead turtles in the Southern Hemisphere! It was definitely a highlight of the trip so far being so close to wild marine life. The rangers took us out on to the beach in small groups when they spotted a turtle emerging from the shore. We saw a huge loggerhead turtle laying her clutch of 142 eggs and then burying them so they were prepared for incubation for eight weeks. Loggerhead turtles are extremely endangered and the rangers at the beach dig up the eggs that the turtle lays and puts them in a safer area of the beach. We all got to take a couple of eggs and bury them in the new place! After the turtle had finished her egg laying and burying she made her way back down to the beach and took off into the waters! It sure was an incredible sight to witness!

As we ended up having more time in Bundaberg we thought we'd find a good beach to chill out on for the day. We found a lovely quiet beach called Woodgate and had a bit of a sunbathe, swim and then a yummy picnic for lunch!

We are now waiting in anticipation for the garage to ring us to get Trevor so we can move on down the coast to Byron Bay!....
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: