I was not expecting rock climbing

Trip Start Jan 04, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Some cottages

Flag of Kenya  , Rift Valley,
Monday, February 8, 2010

The weeks here are going by faster and faster.  I am tired of rounding at the hospital already, but I still have my PharmD project to work on, so I have to motivate myself somehow.
This past weekend we went to Hells Gate National park to hike through some gorges and bike ride through the park.  On our ride there we pass the equator.  We took a picture on the way back.  It was not very hot, but we were 9000 ft high, so the sun must have been really strong.  After about a 4 hour drive, we pulled into our hotel/cottages for the evening.  Our rooms were little cottages, which were nice, but they were really far from the main area and restaurant.  There was nothing inbetween them, just grass and trees.  So we dropped our stuff off and started toward the park.  We pass Lake Naivasha along the way, a large lake that was split into 3 smaller ones.  Inside the national park is also a geothermal energy plant.  It uses all of the naturally hot water coming from the ground to make electricity.  There are pipes running everywhere and it smells of sulfur.
We meet our guide for the gorges and start the hike.  We climb down into the gorges and walk through and see the hot waterfalls and many other waterfalls.  At certain points of the hike, I thought we had hit a dead end, but no, the guide shows us how to rock climb ourselves up the rocks or up a branch.  We also were trying not to fall because we were trying to avoid the pools of water below us.  Everything was made a little harder because the rocks were damp and a little slippery.  My whole body is sore from all of the climbing, balancing, and jumping that was involved.  After about 2 hours, we climbed out of the gorges and started our 8 km bike ride through the park.  Despite the annoying flies and very bouncy bike ride, the park was beautiful.  The park was surrounded by all stone cliffs with green pastures leading down from the cliffs.  The only animals we saw were zebra, warthogs and gazelles.  There were supposed to be water buffalo and some giraffes but we had no luck.  After our bike ride, we tiredly were driven back to the cottages to eat dinner and go to bed.  Luckily, we were the only ones staying at the hotel, so dinner was cooked to order, lamb or pork with potatoes, rice, spinich, and watermelon and pudding for desert.  The next morning, we headed out to Lake Naivasha to see flamingos and hippos.  There were flamingos everywhere and two hippos that we could barely see in the water.  At the edge of the lake, you could see hippo footprints and the mud pools that they made for birthing.  We stayed awhile, hoping the hippos would do something, but they didn't.
After getting home, we had to prepare ourselves to wake up to watch the super bowl.  Since mostly everyone at the IU house is Colts fan, this game was a big deal.  We went to bed early, and woke up at 2:30am to watch the game on a big screen tv.  The game was shown on an international channel, so we didn't have any of the commercials.  After the Saints won (yay!), I slept for another hour until I had to get up and present a power point on adherence to the pharmacy techs.  I got through the presentation and barely got through rounds this morning.  In the afternoon, we went to buy more souvenirs and some supplies for our Valentines party at the Sally Test center for the children.
I am so excited to sleep tonight!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: