I light candles wherever I go

Trip Start Jan 18, 2012
Trip End Jun 27, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Friday, June 8, 2012

What a gong show. Our train travels were an adventure in and amongst themselves. I take back what I said about travelling alone, I'm glad I had Charissa with me.

After eating dinner, I rushed out to pack my bag and dashed out the door after Charisssa who had gone early to buy batteries. We met at the Clifton platform and promptly got on the train, bought Charissa’s ticket, and pleasantly made our way to Temple. At temple we got off at platform 4 – part of the main building – and Charissa went out to pick up her tickets from a machine and came back to me. Turns out the train to Exeter was delayed and delayed and delayed. This started to concern me because we had a 45min break in between, but I figured that was enough. The train did eventually come after being delayed by rain and a freight train and we continued on. When we were coming into Exeter to change from a Crosscountry train to Great Western, we knew we were already quite late but hoped the train had been held for us: a cow had been on our track. When we got off and asked a conductor, he said we ought to have stayed on that train to Plymouth (who knew it was going to Plymouth). So we went to speak with the Duty Manager who told us that if we got to Plymouth, they would sort it out and if not, to call him. In the back of my head, I was thinking of who I could text and if we could get a hold of Tom G who is from Plymouth to see if he had anyone we could stay with. So we sat around the waiting room and waited for a 10:20 for the next train to Plymouth (all the others were delayed too). We made friends with a few other people delayed and got on the next train, sat down and while Charissa slept, I rather miraculously finished my writing quota. Wow, seriously wow. When we got to Plymouth, we once again found  the duty manager and explained our situation and he provided us with a cab. To Truro. Do you know how far that is? We left at 11:45 and got there at 1:00.  Good thing we weren’t paying for the service. Charissa and I both fell asleep on the way there and when we got there, Sarah was there to pick us up. We apologized for being late, despite our best efforts, and we got to her really lovely house and literally fell into bed and agreed to have a 9am breakfast.

                When I woke up at 8:45, I had had the most outrageous dreams about How I Met Your Mother and a fantastic dance party, and Charissa had equally as weird dreams about Exeter. I got dressed, brushed out my hair, and we got up for breakfast and relayed the full story of our adventure over some toast and tea. We made a few battle plans for the day, showered, met Sarah’s really lovely parents, and decided to go out.

                We drove to a lovely place called Falmouth, a beautiful part of Cornwall where we parked by the docks and walked around the streets of Cornwall. It’s a beautiful city, lots of shabby chic shops and food stalls and some bunting, people everywhere, quaint in all the right ways. There’s a beautiful jewellery gallery I absolutely loved – but the earrings I liked were way too expensive. Oh well. Onwards we walked to a pier where the seagulls are absolutely vicious. When we came to the top of the streets, we decided we ought to go get some lunch and got a proper traditional Cornish Pasty which we bought and ate out on a pier. It was probably the most delicious thing I’ve ever had – being hungry helped. We briefly stopped in a shop where I picked up some cheap paper and headphones as mine are pretty much gone. Cheap yes but it’s all I need.

                From there we went out to one of the lookouts to look over the ocean to one of the deepest anchorage points in the world according to Sarah. It was extremely windy so there are a lot of pictures of us getting blown away in the wind.

                From there we drove to a beach known as Gylly’s, but has a longer name. It’s gorgeous. Surfers were out trying to get a wave (hahaha, no), the tide was going out, kids were everywhere. The girls wandered the sand while I went into the tidal pools to prod snails, move limpets, tease jellies, and tangle seaweed. I like my biology, what about you? We went from the sunny beach into the cafe and got hot chocolates on student discount, and sat out in the sofas, watched the weather, and drank happily. Such good times among friends.

                We then drove back into Truro where I guided Sarah, playfully, into a perfect parallel park, went walking through the stores. I saw that Truro has quite a sizable cathedral. I took off from the other two and went to look in. It’s beautiful, as the pictures hopefully tell, and I’m a big fan of stained glass. I light candles wherever I go. I think Kite does too, now that I say that out loud. I got back to the others later after looking through shoes and food. We bought Charissa some jeans and then headed back to Sarah’s house after a long and wonderful day out. I’ve had food and drink and happy and I’m happy. And we have a ton of pictures for it.

                We came home and set to watching 'Singing in the Rain’, which I am thoroughly enjoying. Actors in these times have some much more skill and have to be able to do long song and dance numbers with no cuts in them whatsoever. Also the co-star male is absolutely fab and once I get his name, he’ll be top of my radar, old as he may be.

                Out of curiosity, is it too late to become a Trekkie or a Who-fan (I’m sure they have a name I’m unaware of)?

                We had a lovely dinner with Sarah’s parents and her friend Ama. It was delicious food and really lovely dinner conversation and just great company. It was fantastic. They are truly lovely. We hung out in the lounge afterwards and now I’m updating my blog before I go to bed. Tomorrow we’re going north and having cream tea and having another really lovely day with the girls.

                I don’t think I’m going to get a proper wordcount in today but I’ll make a huge effort to get at least a thousand words pounded out before bed. You know me.

Lots of love from Truro,

Flickerkite (Kite)
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: