Day 2- family day

Trip Start Jun 26, 2010
Trip End Jul 05, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Ingville's house

Flag of Norway  , Vestfold,
Monday, June 28, 2010

28 June 2010

To start: I forgot how much food there is at Ingville's house!!! She eats/feeds us, literally, every 3 hours.  Always something on the table or saying that it is almost time to eat.  So much food, and so very good.

Anyway, today was the reaxing day with family before we begin the traveling part of the journey tomorrow.  After a pretty restful night’s sleep Dad and Steve left to walk downtown and see the Whaling Museum (whaling used to be on of the most popular occupations in Norway.  My dad’s grandfather was a whaler) while I had breakfast with Ingville.  The two of us drove downtown to go to a yarn store and to the bank for me to get some Norwegian krone.   It was fun to drive a stick shift again.  I haven’t done that since I sold my Rav4 two years ago.

The yarn store was just like those in the states.  I don’t know if I’d had some romantic, olde towne version in my head, but there wasn’t anything vastly different about this one.  They didn’t have any traditional Norwegian patterns in English at the store, but since Ingville shops there quite frequently, the owner said he had some at home, then left the store to go get it.  I would have stopped him, but this conversation happened in Norwegian, so I didn’t know why he left until he was already out the door.  Tusen takk!!! (a thousand thanks)  He came back after a bit with a book of Inca patterns from South America.  (I didn’t say I had seen this book in the states and it wasn’t quite what I was looking for)  But I flipped through and found a very nice cardigan pattern that I could tweak a bit to look more like what I want.  I picked an absolutely beautiful alpaca yarn in a purple/pink, one in pure white and a caramel-brown.  And since Ingville is such a frequent shopper there we got a discount on the yarn, and I got the book as a gift, Mille takk!!! (a million thanks).

We drove back home with some krone in my pocket for future purchases, and a craving in my stomach for a snack or some coffee (as if the cup in the morning wasn’t enough, it’s just that good!).  I began making a swatch of my new yarn to see what color combination would work best and snacked on bread and homemade strawberry jam while we waited for dad and Steve to finish walking up the hill and back to the house.

They men returned about 3pm, ate a bite or five, then the three of us went for a hike up in the hills behind the house.  It is so pretty from up there, with a view of downtown Sandefjord on one side and the sea on the other.  Steve complained a bit about the "going up", but climbed the rock face right behind us.  There were several patches of wild blueberry bushes, but we are still about a month or two away from their season.  As if we could have been hungry.  We hiked for about half and hour then came back down into her backyard to sit and wait for dinner (yes, you read right, dinner time is about 3 or 4 pm here.  I kind of like that idea if you can manage it.  Early breakfast when you get up, snacks or “elevensies” as they would say in England, then an early supper, which you have plenty of time to digest, before a light snack around 8 or 9pm then heading up to bed around 11 or midnight).  We wound up being able to push dinner back to 5pm before heading over to Toms house.  Tom is Ingville’s son/dad and Steve’s cousin.  This gave dad a chance to read for a bit and Steve and I a chance to nap to complete the time-adjustment.  I slept until 10am this morning, but Steve has a problem sleeping with light outside, so he was up about 5am today.  For me, I still say a 6 hour time change is nothing compared to the 10.5 hour adjustment for India, which took mom and I about the entire 12 days we were there to adjust to.

Tom’s house is on the other side of the bay in Sandefjord and is absolutely beautiful!  He is on the side of a hill, with one wall is practically all windows with a porch that wraps underneath it that faces West so we got the sunset straight into the whole place.  We were set up with fruit, lefse (thin bread), and of course, coffee on a table outside.  The weather was perfect, a bit of a chill, but not much, the sky was blue and the sun was setting.  Absolutely amazing.  Due to the midnight sun aspect of the country, we got the actual sunset for the whole two hours we were there.  I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect night.

To explain the midnight sun: the sun does go below the horizon this far south from about 10pm until 4am, but it is never low enough for the light to disappear.  If we were up in the northern part of Norway, it would never go below the horizon, so here it at least gets dark enough for us to pretend it is nighttime.  But it is still a bit odd when I looked down at my watch and it was 9pm with the sun still setting and still not very close to the horizon.  It would be interesting to be here for several days in the dead of winter.

So we spent time with Tom, his girlfriend Inge and Tom’s daughter, Christine, who is only a few years younger than me.  The conversation was rocky at times with a few translation pauses, but in we all had fun together.

The three of us (Ingville didn’t come, since she sees Tom on a regular basis) got back to the house about 9:30pm, chatted for a bit then came up to bed to pack a bit then go to bed.

Tomorrow we are leaving the house about 7am to drive the 10 hours to Bergen.  Ingville insists we have breakfast before we leave, so we are getting up for a 6:30am meal.  (She said that if we won’t let her get up that early to give us breakfast, she just won’t go to sleep.  Argue with that!)  This will most likely be least of a problem for Steve, but we are all going to bed before midnight to be safe.  The nice thing is there are all three of us to drive tomorrow so we can take turns and sleep in the back if we need to.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: