Culinary Adventure in Peru
Trip Start Jan 22, 2010
122Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
- Anticuchos - brochettes made from the cow heart, tasted like really flavorful steak!
- Causa rellena - a delicious stuffed potato dish with aji amarillo (yellow chile). It can be stuffed with chicken, tuna, crab, whatever you want and comes garnished with avocado...yummm!
- Chimichuri - a wonderfully garlicy green sauce served on fish or chicken.
- Papas a la huancaina - yet another potato dish, this one served with a spicy cheese sauce.
- Ceviche - a staple in Peru, raw seafood lightly cooked in lime juice and served with chili and onions. My personal favorite!
- Lomo saltado - sliced beef sauteed with onions, tomatoes, chili, and vinegar, mixed with french fries and served with rice...ahhh yeah!
- Empanadas - another one of my favs, a Peruvian meat turnover filled with either chicken or beef and garnished with lime. My favorite ones also had hardboiled egg inside.
- Chupe de camarones - probably the best thing I tried, a Peruvian-style shrimp chowder with an orange hue and made with aji, peas, giant corn kernels, potatoes, onion, and garlic. Absolutely amazing!
- Aji de gallina - (Chile chicken). Thin strips of tender chicken served with a creamy yellow sauce made of aji amarillo, milk, and cheese.
- Chicharrones - Salted, deep fried pork. Enough said.