On the Road!

Trip Start Jun 07, 2010
Trip End Jun 30, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Germany  , North Rhine-Westphalia,
Thursday, June 10, 2010

    Staying up so late to update my blog caught up with me. I slept most of the day. We did a lot of driving today, and that is where I did most of my napping. We were up at 5:30 this morning, ate breakfast at 6:15, and were out the door by 7. Opa had to see his dentist because his filling came out, but unfortunately the dentist was at the university marking exams today or something like that. I took a few pictures of the dental office. It was adorable because the whole room was taken by one chair. It was Classic.
    After the dentist we made a trip to a museum - it took us longer than expected because Opa was having some troubles with the TomTom GPS. But luckily this day I got to spend a lot of time on the Autobahn!!! This museum is at a location where the Romans battled the German tribes, including the Cimbri and Teutoni. (Opa corrects me at this point, and makes sure I let you all know that the German tribes battled the Romans, and not the other way around! ;) ) This was the first time I have ever had a first hand taste of Roman history and artifacts, and I must tell you, it was very interesting. This battle took place in year 9, but the records are not complete concerning it. Some of the findings at this site included arrowheads, metal armour, and even a preserved mask that remains intact. Breathtaking.
    I was hungry after looking over all of these artifacts, so we decided to search out pommes (fries!). We found this little diner place called Charleys Imbiss. I ordered pommes and chicken nuggets. They tasted fabulous. Honest, fries don't usually taste like that. The ketchup was even more tomatoey and flavorful and the nuggets came with curry sauce! So neat. We also bought some still water (most of what they drink is sparkling mineral water so you have to ask specifically for still). It was evian water in glass bottles. And to top it off, he gave us delicate crystal glasses to drink it with. Fanciest diner ever.
    After the museum and the awesome pommes and glass water bottles we took a long trip out to the palace at Buckeburg. The first look at this palace took my breath away, the architecture, and all the grandeur of this palace. It is still owned by the original family who live in a separate wing of the palace. My personal favorite was the grand ballroom with pink marble decorating the entire hall. It was fantastic! The golden hall and the chapel were also very beautiful and ornate. How people could live in such grandeur is beyond me. There were ducks in the pond. I love ducks.
    So the rest of the day was basically a write off for me. My allergies flared up pretty bad and I had a bit of a stomach ache so I slept. I woke up briefly to go to an ear doctor with Opa, Oma, and Chris, and then we went to check out the train station and found the platform where we will be departing from on Saturday morning. We returned to the house and I slept some more.
    I awoke briefly again here to write something down from today. I also ate a few French cookies. Oma Marlies made some bread with chicken on it for me. It was also fabulous.
    Tomorrow we are essentially having a 'chill' day. I will keep you posted.
Good night!
Slideshow Report as Spam


DAD on

Sorry I missed your call yesterday.
It is awesome to be able to see the beautiful pictures and landscapes.
thanks for the updates, It is like we are with you.
love ya !!

Birgit on

can't wait for your next entry !!

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: