HotAir balloon

Trip Start Apr 12, 2010
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Friday, April 23, 2010

This morning we had to get up at 03:30 because we were being picked up at 4:15 and didn't want to be late, after a slow start we was ready at 4:00 and we walked down to the entrance of the facility were we where picked up by Jason in a Holden Caprice (i guess 1999 model) ... that was not bad because we expected a bus or something...

After picking 2 Americans up at their hotel we headed to Mareeba which means you have to drive over some bendy roads (the Alps x 1/2) .... Jason explained in the car some details how they were inflating the balloon and that our balloon was the 3rd biggest balloon in the world which holds 24 passengers ... heading somewhere after Mareeba to Chewko into a cow field, we saw our first Kangaroo hopping over the road and in the field 3 balloons were being inflated.

Waiting in the field we were explained that if we looked up the Milky Way just above us...I must say looked pretty nice...but you can see stars in the UK and Holland as well :-) ... 06:05 is the time that the balloons are allowed to take of and a few moments later our balloon went off without us because we were on the second flight...

Taking place into a bus we started our balloon chase and with our driver Toni (Chinese accent English) it was funny...after the balloon-captain had decided were to land we were heading to the balloon sitting on the trailer through a field...

Now it was our turn to stand in that basket under a balloon filled with some hot air ;-)
We were the first ones to get on and stood just below the burners (kind of warm) but we had enough space to look around us and important to look down....after a quick safety briefing the burners were turned on and we set off wherever the wind was taking us....

The amazing thing is how fast it rises and falls...the views are stunning and when the burners are not burning it is really quiet. The burners run on propane and do this at a fuel economy rate of 4 liters per minute...if all 4 all burning ;-) ... we can tell you how amazing it was but it is hard to explain, just take a look at the pictures....and after 45 minutes we were landing in the middle off a weed field :-) 

Cutting the weed was done by the Toyoto 4x4 with the trailer and 10 minutes later the balloon was lowered down...which had as a result that the basket flipped over onto its side...

Climbing out of the basket the next task was to deflate the balloon by folding the outside to the inside....then Lynds had to hold the bag were the balloon was kept in...10 minutes later the balloon was in the bag and now the only thing left was getting the bag and the basket onto the trailer...

After some pictures we went to ...... for some breakfast...the breakfast was :-) just look at the pictures...

Arriving at the Reaf Retreat at 10:30 we were nackered and lying on the bed....guess who is nocking on the door...yes: the cleaning lady :-(

We had a sleep now and are revived...cheers Lynds and Jeff

Slideshow Report as Spam


colin denby on

you are obviously having a wonderful time, and are in love with each other, enjoy yourselves whilst you are young.

Love you both,

Colin & Brenda.

jeffandlynds on

You are so sweet, we are having a great time.I hope you are both well xxx

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: