Trip Start Jul 16, 2010
Trip End Jul 31, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Wednesday, July 28, 2010

After a lengthy discussion in Tok, we realized that our itinerary was about as oversized as I am. Throughout the months in planning this trip I tried my best not to repeat our route and I wanted to keep things interesting until the very end.  Deadhorse was a huge goal, but not the single focus of the trip.  Just as the old song says, 'What goes up must come down' and we had a lot of miles to travel back to Seattle and I didn’t want it to be ordinary.  I had heard from many that the northern Canadian Rockies between Jasper and Banff were some of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the world.  And since we were in the neighborhood I planned to pass through on the way home.  By the way, the neighborhood in this case is about a 1000 miles long so we had to make some tracks. 

No need to talk about the mundane riding except to say that I would never tour the great northwest any other way except by bike.  We ended up passing the same RV’s and trucks maybe dozens of times.  We got to stop and smell the roses and they couldn’t without losing their place in line on the great Alaskan Hwy.  Also, since there were no other side roads to take, this particular leg of the trip was like the old "do-or-die shot" in pick-up basketball games.  If for any reason we could not keep on route, there would be no time or way to retrace our steps and get back to Seattle in time to fly home on Saturday.

 As it turns out, we were supposed to stop in Ft Nelson for the night.  Instead we ate supper in Ft Nelson and continued rolling through the night (literally) and landed in Ft St. John around midnight Wednesday night.  Frankly, riding at night on these roads boarders of stupidity.  The construction sites can kill a biker on a clear day much less in the dark—not to mention the animals like moose that you really don’t want to meet.   The guys had to pry my hands off the handlebars once we finally got to our hotel.  But it’s a good thing we pressed on because the next morning we found out that a few hours after we passed a rail road crossing just outside of Ft Nelson, there had been a collision on the track resulting in the train derailing.  The Alaskan Hwy was closed indefinitely that night.  Had we been on the other side of the tracks, we would have never made it back to Seattle by Saturday.

Along the way we stopped at Liard Hot Springs and took a dip for a couple hours, saw some great four-legged residence of the area, and enjoyed some more beautiful scenery.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: