Major road trip.....

Trip Start Jan 16, 2008
Trip End Jan 01, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mexico  ,
Saturday, January 26, 2008

Having decided to leave Guad, and having seen pretty much all there was there, we decided to head in South to Oaxaca (pronounced Wah-haka).  We were told by a very good source in the hostel that it would only be about 8 hours away so we we knew we be heading off on Friday morning. Thursday night however, proved to be worst nights sleep any of us got, as one of the other hostelees (if thatīs a word) decided to snore...and I mean snore through the whole night. It got so bad we started throwing coins at him and shaking his bed....but nothing worked.

We set off anyway at about 11am and when we got to the bus station we soon realised that we couldnīt get there on just one bus, and that we would have to go through Mexico City again and catch another one from there, so we were looking at a trip of around 15-16 hours! I wanted to check the price of a flight, as apparently the internal ones arenīt that dear, but we had no internet access and therefore not much choice either!

The travelling party had increased by one now as Bill had decided to join us so the three of us set off on the 12.15 bus to Mexico City, knowing it was gonna be a VERY long day!!
The eight hour trip to Mexico was fine, as it one of the plush busses weīd gotten last week with loads of leg space and room to lie down. Once we arrived however, things got much worse!!!

The bus station we arrived at didnīt serve Oaxaca so we had to go across town to another one, this meant getting a taxi, and what followed was the scariest hour of my life!!! I got stuck in the front of a really old Opel Corsa that was our taxi, Bill and Eoin were in the back. I told him where we were going and off we set. Unfortunately rush hour in Mexico City is at 8 oīclock so it was total deadlock. The taxi man was getting a little aggrivated to say the least so anytime there was the least little bit of space, he took off at about 80km per hour and then stopped right on the rear bumper of the car. He actually clipped a Merc at one stage. This went on for about half an hour, along with random lane changes without any indicators, so we were feeling a little sick from all the speed changes. He wasn't a fan of using his hand brake either so with all the weight in the car, so he was constantly rolling back into the car behind. He then decided to take a short cut through a back road and he nearly broke our necks, taking off at about 100kms. Being in front seat, I was taking the full brunt of it...I sent a text to Eoin saying I thought we were gonna to die!! Bill then left his Lonely Planet book on Mexico in the back of the car so we were well and truly up shit creek, as this had the details of the hostel in it. We managed to remember the name but had no address and no phone number...and no internet.

We eventually got out at the train station and went looking for the right bus. It was gonna be an 11.20pm bus for 6 hours. But this bus was one that gave me a flash back to my childhood trips to Mayo and Clare on the old Bus Eireann coaches. No leg space, really hot and very uncomfortable! Bill, being a tall chap had a terrible time! We couldnīt sleep at all cos it was so uncomfortable but we got there in the end! At 5am in the morn, we were really tired and groggy so we had a quick coffee and decided to see if a taxi man knew the name of the Hostel. Luckily he did and we arrived there at about 6am.

We found a door bell and waited to see if there was any reply. When the door was answered the poor chap mustīve got the fright of his life when he saw us. To borrow a line from Tommy Tiernan, we looked like three drunks that failed an audition for the Wolfe Tones! But luckily there was beds itīs very cheap, less than 10 euro a night. The place is fantastic too. Massive, really clean and right in the centre of town.

After a 5 hour sleep we had a quick look around town today, lovely spot, real colonial and a fantastic market. We definitely taking it easy it today as we're all still shattered but will be back soon with photos.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the roof top garden to read a book and take in some more of the 25 degree sun....itīs not all fun & games you know!

Talk soon

Report as Spam


laserryan on

From Ireland.
Its almost 2 am here so i am going to be nice and very honest. A great read there Jim, enjoyed it. A laughed out loud at the wolfe tones line!!! Late here now and so hitting the sac. Eoin - got cut off on the phone tonight but wanted to say this ...''you are my ambassader of quan'.. man''

Peace, Love and goodnight

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: