I did U in a day

Trip Start Oct 01, 2009
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Tent Rent

Flag of Chile  , Patagonia,
Wednesday, January 6, 2010

In Torres del Paine, of which I have now a lot of PAIN, there are some stunning sights and very impressive long walks with much to see.
I was planning to get to the camp sight ......... (look at Map picture) for the first day so that I could walk to the Base del torres on the following morning for sunrise, but the tents could only be rented at Chileano campsite,  about 2 hours away, and they are not for llevar (which is basically take out!) which the tour guide told me I could.  So I had to stay in Chileano and wake at 3 in the morning to arrive in the base for roughly 5.01 a.m. and see the spectacular red stones (Reflection of Sunrise on the Torres).  This trip was a difficult one as all I had to see was the light from my mobile phone (I knew it would come in handy) and my wits on if the path I was following was correct (I did not stand much of a chance!).  However, I somehow ended up in the right place and when getting there having about 45 mins hiding from the wind in a culmination of rocks.  The sunrise decided to stay where it was and the clouds covered it, therefore, I do not have a good picture so here is one from the internet.

My nose was dripping and Norman had had enough so we left for the run back to camp.

At around 7 a.m. I returned to Chileno to have some well deserved breakfast (El Calefate jam and pan) and a cup of hot water.  I had my things packed and left at around 8 a.m. for an 3.5 hours walk to the next site.  This walk was the best, quite flat but the views were awsome with a lake to the left of me and mountains to the right (Stuck in the middle with youuuu!.....excuse the songs, I was alone walking for quite a while).  It was a beautiful walk but still a little tiring and I was asking people toward the end how far it was to the next camp; in the matter of 1 km it was 20 mins - 1.5 hours by their estimation.  Additionally, I was bored of saying "Hola" to passers by so I started to say "Bonjour", most responses were Hola but there was at least one "holabonj" (again I appologise but it is not easy alone with backpack after raising myself at 3 in the morning).

So I actually arrived 10 minutes before schedule to the next site ....... at 11.20 p.m.  Tanking myself up on Fanta and chocolate I was ready for another 2 hours and left at 12 on the dot (I know the times exactly as it was my mission to arrive at Paine Grande before dusk........and because I am colloquially sad).  Camp Italiano, after 2 hours, I could finally drop my backpack and walk up to the Mirador just after a Britanico (See map).  This was the hardest walk by far, although not having my belongings, my head was kaput after about 1 hour into the journey and I sat for 15 minutes trying to regain some of that energy from the chocolate........all I could think about was roast dinner with all the trimmings and a cup of tea!

I did reach the ultimate point eventually and it was still only 4 o´clock.  Here I sat for a good 20 minutes taking in the views and nearly dropping off.  After a couple of pictures from funky German man who told me "be dangerous on the Rock!!", I headed straight down and feeling better made it back to Italiano for 6 p.m. Only one last stretch to go and I was done.  With all my stuff on my back and water from the mountain spring at 6.30 p.m. I was ready.  It was a windy, but flat path along the way with less and less people to see, this was a little disconcerting..........It does not get dark until 10.30 p.m. at the moment so I was confident I would make it before then......I hoped!!!

Arrival time was 8.44 p.m. and I was one happy bunny but what I did not know was that the hard part was to come.  I needed to rent a tent from the keeper and there were none left!!! WELL that is what she said and then I said what do I do.  I think she took pity on me and even gave it to me for a less. I told her that I only had 10 mil left, and the price was11 mil.............she charged me 7 mil?????  Anyway I was happy again...............BUT.............I do not think that I remember boy Cubs, Scouts or Guides (1 of which I was in and 1 I aspired to be!!!!) because this tent was just complicated, the poles I was tried to lean on one another and the thing kept blowing away in the wind. Thankfully, after a while some chileno boys came to my rescue (basically did in 6.34 minutes what I did not in 34.12 minutes) and I was ready for my bag of sleep. 

The final day in Torres I got the ferry (Thank goodness with Argentinian Pesos) in order to get the bus to Puerto Natales.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: