A little problem turns into a bigger one!
Trip Start Unknown
443Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Woke at 7.45!! Isi had a restless night with cramps and painful knee. Lovely sunny morning again, and engineer due at 10am so we had a quick bacon and egg sandwich.
James came to sort out the electrics with the bilge pump and sods law it worked! BUT water was squirting from somewhere so found a plastic connector had split, so replaced it with a brass one. Then it was noticed that there was another leak in the exhaust water box (exhaust gasses go through water in this plastic box before leaving the boat) where the seam had split along the top. This was just below the waterline so this is not good news and James does not do this type of work, so we would have to get the engineer from the marina (twice the price of James!)
We stayed upright which was great, steep learning curve for us both as we have never done this before.
John managed to change the leaking box with great difficulty getting the old one out, but so much easier putting the new one in, which is just as well as the tide does not wait for anyone.
Whilst we were dry, he took out the log and cleaned it as it has only worked intermittently. We have to wait and see if it works now, otherwise it will have to be a new one. (our folding bikes stored in the bow storage are in the picture) He cleaned the exhaust outlet which had barnacles on and stopped the non return flap from closing completely
It was also an opportunity to wash down the waterline and inspect the anodes as there was much deliberation as to what we should put on when we were in Newhaven. Zinc is for sea water, manganese for fresh water and aluminium for brackish water. We were leaving Newhaven round the coast to London (salt water, Upper Thames (fresh water), marina for the winter (brackish) back round the coast (salt water) then Dutch canals and rivers (fresh or brackish water), so we were advised on aluminium. They are still there and doing the job. They will need to be changed in the winter as per usual.
We made something positive out of the negative.
We then waited for the tide to return to see if all was well. Isobel went to bed fully dressed in case of emergency!! John stayed up to inspect and all was well. High water was 2am so we could not move the boat then as we would not have been popular waking people up so had to wait until the next high tide in the afternoon.