Boxing day at sea

Trip Start Dec 17, 2011
Trip End Feb 11, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of International  ,
Monday, December 26, 2011

Today I woke up early (well before 9am) because of the huge waves that we were going through. As a result, you would rise and fall and you can feel the extra pressure when you "fall". It's kind of hard to explain, but it’s the same feeling when you’re on a roller coaster, you know, the G forces. Anyway, as soon as I woke I took a sea sickness tablet and then watched TV in bed for a while waiting for it to kick in. We then headed up to breaky for a quick snack before lunch. We were booked into the Salt Grill for lunch today (it’s only $30 p/p for lunch, or $40 p/p for dinner and you get the same food). But when the time came to go to lunch Adam wasn’t well enough, so we had to postpone until dinner time. It was booked out for dinner tonight but we went onto the cancellation list and about 20 minutes later we got a phone call to our room telling us we were booked in for dinner at 6pm, so I wonder how many people had to cancel their dinner reservations. At 12 noon every day the captain comes over the loud speaker to give a navigational update, and today there was also some news. Because of the huge swells he had to slow down our speed to 16knots so we would now be late arriving to Brisbane. But hey now we got 2 more hours on the ship! And we also didn’t have to be awake as early. This afternoon we went along to meet the dance cast, where you get an opportunity to ask them all questions and you can also take a backstage tour. If you do, you will see just how small of a backstage area there actually is. Straight after this is the Marriage match gameshow, where they pick 4 married couples out and then see how much each partner knows about the other. We registered but didn’t get picked out, but if you register be prepared for a little embarrassment, but that’s what makes it fun.

Later in the afternoon the seas were still very choppy and I was starting to feel even sicker. I think you just reach a point where you just want to be off the ship. My sea sickness medication must be taking longer to work than usual due to the high seas. I just keep telling myself, only 1 more night, only 1 more night. I bet there’s not too many people wishing they were off a cruise ship.  But then again, adam and I will be boarding another ship in 2 days time – the Sun Princess to New Zealand. So I won’t get much of a break on dry land. I am thinking of going to the chemist and switching sea sickness tablets though, because I hate how drowsy these ones make me. I feel a bit like an old lady who always has to have naps. I had another nap this afternoon because my sea sickness came back and it usually takes about an hour for the tablets to kick in. But I found that if I laid in bed I didn’t feel very sick at all.

We dined tonight in the Salt Grill, and it was really nice food. Neither of us was very hungry though, which was probably due to the slight sea sickness. The waiter told us there had been a lot of cancellations for dinner in the Salt Grill that night because people were staying in their rooms sick. Our favourite waiter Roderick worked in the Salt Grill and took care of us tonight. We started off with 2 different types of bread with dukkah and olive oil and balsamic vinegar, which was nice. I then had bruschetta (minus the anchovies) as an entree, and it was so good.  The bread was nice and crispy and warm, and the capsicum on top was very soft and a little sweet. I then ordered the pan fried gnocchi (usually an entrée) as a main. But that was only because I don’t eat steak or seafood, and there was plenty of that on the menu to choose from. With my gnocchi I ordered sides of mash potato (to die for), and truffle and parmesan fries (nice, but it’s hard to explain what truffle oil tastes like). For dessert I ordered a chocolate selection (although by this time it was hard to fit it in!), and adam had the liquorice parfait. Roderick also brought us out a little tray of petit fours, which were sooooo cute and look so tasty! They were in a carry tray to take away for later. Geez he spoils us!

Soon after we had to leave so that we could pack our suitcase in time for disembarkation. The night before you are set to disembark you must pack all of your bags and place them outside your room about dinner time. Of course I had left that to the last minute, so we had to kind of rush to do this. We also made a trip down to the pursers desk to get some envelopes to tip. We headed back up to the Salt grill to give Roderick a tip, and he had prepared us a little chocolate cake specially to celebrate our anniversary. *sigh* if only we could take him home with us. He gets off the ship in 20 days he said, so I bet he is counting down the days until he sees his wife, two teenage children and his 7 year old. We hope he is back on board when we are back on Pacific Dawn. We don’t have any other plans for Pacific Dawn just yet, as we will very shortly be going to NZ with Princess, and then in January going to the US with Carnival, but next time we are back on Pacific Dawn I hope that our favourite waiter will be too. 

There was also a show on tonight, for one time only, which was a variety show featuring the pacific entertainers, the Kenny Bennet comedy act and a singer which had performed on Vila night. However we didn’t go and see this because we had to go pack our suitcases. We finished off the night with a pub quiz and then watching TV in bed before sleep.  There has been some great movies on TV such as the Dish, Smurfs, Eclipse and also shows like Glee, Simpsons, Gruen transfer and Winnie the pooh, but they do repeat a lot of time over the duration of the cruise. It was with great sadness that we had our last night onboard Pacific Dawn :(
Slideshow Report as Spam


kylie beckett on

hi i loved reading your blog as its my first cruise in june 2012 to the pacfic islands and it was very well done thank you

leanne on

thankyou the blog was great as i am new to cruising, am going on one in may 2012

Liz on

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this blog. I am looking to take my family on our first cruise in feb / march and this was such a great insight :)

Sandy on

It's such a shame that you were feeling a little off colour for the Salt Grill. I don't get seasick and love the swells in rough weather, but those that I travel with that do get seasick recommend taking the seasick meds before going to bed at night. That way the drowsiness helps you sleep and doesn't affect you as much during the day.

Vanessa on

Great blog very informative. Looks like you had a ball!

Sherilyn on

What a great blog :) Thanks for all the info - for a first timer it was really helpful and answered lots of our questions

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: