Rain forecast for next few days

Trip Start May 13, 2008
1
10
22
Trip End Jun 12, 2008


Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
shadow

Flag of Italy  ,
Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Wet days ahead so not sure of plans, heading towards Verona I think.  See you when I next have 'the net'

Mick
Slideshow Report as Spam

Comments

bigjim71
bigjim71 on

Strike is continuing-Can't get out of Norway
Hey Micko,

Bad news I'm afraid.

The airport strike is continuing today. Unless we get an agreement between the unions and the airports later today or tonight our KLM flights tomorrow morning will be cancelled. The strike has been going for 6 days now and they are showing no sign of stopping anytime soon.

We've spent a long time evaluating our other options.

The only 2 airports that are open (and that we can get to) are Haugesund (1.5 hour drive) and Oslo (7 hour drive). I have checked the flights out of these airports and they are all full (not surprisingly)

We had a long hard look at driving to Italy. But it is a long 2300 km drive and will take about 27 hours. And that is only one-way. We would have to drive via Oslo and Sweden as the ferry from Kristiansand to Denmark is also full (and it's a rip off). Given that I am the only driver, that's a long way to drive for a long weekend. We discussed taking some more time off and having a week or two in Italy to make the drive worthwhile but both our work schedule is pretty full at present, so we can't really drop everything and take extra time off.

So I think our only last option is to hope for an agreement with the unions either today or tomorrow so that we can still fly on Wednesday or Thursday...

Updates will be posted on www.avinor.no (this is the airports homepage, there is an English translation click on the top right)

I feel pretty crap about this actually. I realise that you both are travelling a long way and investing a lot of time and effort to do a race that I instigated. I feel I've invested a lot of time and effort for this trip as well, I've actually been doing long rides in the mountains and brought a new titanium 29 tooth cassette, new aero tubular tyres, brake pads etc. Plus I spent a friggin long time on the internet trying to find us accommodation.

So to be honest I'm gutted. We were really looking forward to seeing you both.

I'm trying to think of any details that you need from me. I can only think of the chalet address:

It is Chalet Pradat.
Via Pradat I-32020 Arabba.

I have paid 140 euro deposit and the total cost is 465 euro. There are two apartments booked from Friday after 2 pm to Monday morning.

You have to pick up your race numbers etc on the Friday night in Arabba at Stadio del ghiaccio between 12 and 22 pm (Although my Italian is pretty crap-so I could be wrong).

I would also advise that you leave a car at the finish on Friday night so you can get home on the Saturday. There is also a bus, but we haven't ordered it and I don't understand the details (sorry). And you may not want to subject your bikes to the usual back of the truck treatment that they usually get.

The ride starts at 7 am.

If we don't make it: Good luck! And please accept our sincerest apologies
Jim (and Alex)

bigjim71
bigjim71 on

Re: Strike is continuing-Can't get out of Norway
PS Richs mobile number is:

+447707678383

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: