Larnaca District is so beautiful!
Trip Start Mar 03, 2010
143Trip End Feb 06, 2011
Show trip route
I am downtown Larnaca taking photos. In one or two days I am flying back to Greece. I have a peculiar feeling with this hot weather.
I come to Ermou Street where the Christmas tree is placed and nothing reminds me of the coming Christmas holidays. I notice that the Christmas tree is just the same as the previous year.
I see very beautiful shop windows decorated with all kinds of Christmas ornaments but I don’t even make an approach. It is funny but I feel strange!
It’s November and here I am walking in my summer clothes…..as if I had a trip in Australia
I feel like unstop walking when I come to Larnaka. I love so much this beautiful city. Years back as a child I could not understand why a tourist would choose to come to Larnaka. Now, as a grown up and a person who travels a lot I would surely recommend it. There is so much to see and do here.
The town is built over the ancient city-kingdom of Kition, a rich sea port and major centre of the cooper trade and later a Phoenician stronghold. Its remains can be seen today in its cyclopean walls made of giant blocks of stone and a complex of 12th century BC Mycenaean Greek temples.
The hills around Larnaka are dotted with picturesque villages like Vavla or Lefkara, famous for its local lace and its filigree silver-ware
In my other blog " THE ISLAND OF CYPRUS" I have entries on Larnaka with many photos. Get connected and read the entries if you wish. I think they have some very useful information and many photos and videos.
Here however in this entry, I am just going to list some of the most interesting places in the Larnaka district. In future trips I plan to visit many of these places and be able to write more about every interesting spot.
This is my list below:
1) Hala Sultan Tekesi, which is about 3 kms west of Larnaka on the road to Kiti, passing the Larnaka airport.
2) Angeloktisti Church, it is found in the village of Kiti, about 11 km west of
3) Royal Chapel, it is in the village of Pyrga, 35 km south of Nicosia, and 32
km from Larnaka.
4) Stavrovouni Monastery, it is 9 km off the Nicosia – Limassol road, 40 km
5) Agios Effimianos Church which is near Stavrovouni Monastery in Kornos
6) Choirokoitia is about 32 km from Larnaka and 48 km south of Nicosia off
the Nicosia – Limassol highway.
7) Kalavasos – Tenta is 40 km from Larnaka, 2.5 km off the Nicosia – Limassol
8) Lefkara, is 8 km from Skarinou, off the Nicosia – Limassol road,
40 km from Larnaka.
9) Agios Minas Convent is near Lefkara, and it is a 15th century Monastery.
10) Church of Panagia Iamatiki is a three-ailed wooden roofed church with
excellent wall paintings of the Italo-Byzantine style, dating to the first half
of the 16th century.
11) Agios Antonios Church is found in the village of Kellia, one of the most
important Byzantine churches of Cyprus, possibly of the 9th century
12) Kostas Argyrou Museum is found in Mazotos. See the work of the local sculptor. Visits can be arranged by phone. (04) 43 22 77.