Day 2 - Cross Island Tour

Trip Start Nov 26, 2009
Trip End Dec 04, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Hawaii
Saturday, November 28, 2009

We got up around 6:30 AM this morning local time so we could hike up Diamond Head before it got too hot and sunny.  We're trying to stay on Seattle time so we can get up earlier and beat the crowds, but it usually means we're in bed fairly early for around here.  We had heard that there was a surfing competition in the North Shore, so were ultimately headed for there.
                                                  View at the top
The hike up to the top wasn't very bad, there was just a lot of stairs in some parts.  We took turns taking pictures of other couples so we were even able to get a couple shots of us together up there.  I guess Diamond Head get it's slanted profile from the winds that were blowing when it started blowing ash around.  I thought that was interesting. We stopped and got some shave ice at the base before hitting the road.

After Diamond Head, we headed east and eventually north along the Kalanianaole Highway making all sorts of stops along the way up to the North Shore.  Fun stops included photos ops at Hanauma Bay and a pretty Japanese temple.  The highway had a speed of only 35 mph in most places, so it really made me sleepy driving through the scenery.
                                                 Japanese Temple
We stopped first and ate some Hawaiian food at one of the small towns along the highway.  I had kalua pork (pork cooked with only salt) and Zach had lau-lau (pork wrapped in taro leaves which is then wrapped in ti leaf).  We also stopped at the famous Giovanni's shrimp truck and shared some peel and eat shrimp that was pretty darn good. It guess they were really fresh since they still had their legs on them and everything (gross).
                                                 Lau lau pork, it tastes better than it looks
Once we got to the North Shore, we watched a little bit of the surfing competition, but without a pair of binoculars or something, it was kind of hard to see.  So we didn't stay very long.  I saw that one surfer girl who got her arm bitten off by a shark, so that was cool.

Following advice from my parents, we tried to go to the museum at Schofield Barracks.  They make this museum very difficult to find, there's barely any signs telling you which gate to enter through (only like 1 of 10 gates can be accessed without military ID).  After being harassed by the gate guard, who fancied himself a comedian, and FINALLY getting on base (and going the wrong way on an unmarked one-way road), we found out that the museum closes at 4 PM.  It was 4:20.  But we got a token picture of a tank, I guess.  At least the drive out there was pretty through the agricultural areas of Oahu.  Thanks for the tip Mom and Dad.

We went back to the hotel, relaxed a little bit, then grabbed some dinner at some Tiki Bar on the beach.  I treated myself to one of those tacky drink that comes in a souvenir tiki mug.  I think I deserved it.
                                                      Tiki Drink!

Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: