Trip Start Dec 01, 2007
35Trip End May 31, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
When we arrived in south FL last January, we encountered cold front after cold front. If you recall, we had to wait in the slip nearly three weeks to simply get the boat down to Miami for our trip to Key West. But, hey... its winter....ok. We decided to go away for the month of March largely because we thought most of the cold, unsettled weather would be over by April 1. Wrong.
Well had tried several times to make the gulf stream crossing in the past few weeks but have not found the promised "weather window" we had been seeking: winds with no northerly component (N, NE, NW etc) and seas four feet or less. Instead we leaned some real truths about south Florida weather and NOAA forecasts:
- When the forecast says its a "go" it will likely turn bad the day before.
- When the forecast says "no", it may be good enough to go, but you can't tell until the last moment.
- There is no perfect time to go (unless its a day you just can't go for some reason). See below.
- Cold fronts come as fast April 1 as Jan 15, but not as cold
- Any day you just "cant go" because of personal reasons or a blown fuse kind of thing, its going to be ideal.
- It is possible to get into the Bahamas and get "stuck" there for days or weeks and not have good enough weather to return across the Gulf Stream to Florida.
- When several Bahamas veterans tell us "why would you go now?....you want to go Bahamas in June when the weather is good"......its a good bet you need a new plan.
In view of all this and the fact that our cruising season is limited to around 6-1, we have decided to postpone a Bahamas cruise for another time.
We have been bummed for days sitting in the slip. We dont like sitting in the slip. We really, really dont like sitting in the slip. So we were really bummed. But before any crocodile tears were shed, we gave ourselves a pep talk and concluded that have nearly two months of cruising ahead....whats wrong with that! Lets get going!After thinking of all the choices, we have decided to take a leisurely cruise back to Virginia. We raced down in December and its now time to smell the roses and really cruise up the east coast and make all the good stops this time without the 8-10 hour daily runs. After a couple days of talking this through, Sue and I decided that this is the new plan. We waffled, we waggled but we finally put a stake in the ground. Its time to go cruising.
We will leave tomorrow for points north.