National Park

Trip Start Jul 06, 2006
Trip End Jul 07, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Friday, August 11, 2006

Wow have had the best time ever! We had a nightmare of a journey leaving the Perentians though. The long tail boat we got in to take us to the bigger boat capsided with us and our luggage in, so we had to continue the 12 hour journey in wet clothes and wet luggage! After we'd arrived in Taman Negara thought we did have a good laugh as we must have looked so funny! My only priority was trying my hardest not to get my IPOD wet! Wasn't too concerned that I nearly lost my shoes!

After the boat, we got a bus to the National Park, but as soon as we got on the mini bus (soaking wet) this chinease guy was sick. Seeing as i suffer from sympathy sickness I did very well not to get sick! We then had to transfer to another bus, with the family from hell whose kids insisting on making the most noise ever when we were trying to sleep (incidently they were everywhere we went in the Park- think they were following us!) Also the tour gude on the bus was convincing us that their would be no rooms avaliable when we got their (8pm) and we would have to book into the really expensive places. Later we found out this was because he was paid commission! Luckily, our nights in shining armour, Dave and Rob (who we met on Koh Pha Ngan) met us off the coach, took our bags and found a hostel room right next to theirs. It was so great to see people we knew after such an awful journey. they also sorted out what we were doing for the next few days which was great cos we didnt have a clue what the random tour guide had told us to do! Incidently, since we'd last saw them, they'd got freindly with some people who we met four weeks ago on a night train to Bangkok! They ended up sharing our dorm with us! just goes to show what a small world it is!

By the way, Taman Negara is a protected rain forest by the way and one of the oldest in the world. You need to buy a permit just to use your camera! We went on a canopy walk on the first morning whihc is apparently the longest in the world! It was impressive to be up that high, but the views werent too great as you could only see the middles of the trees- the tops were too high and the bottom of the tree too low!

The boys had a crazy idea that we would rent an 8 person jungle hide out for the night and see what animals we could see! it was amazing as you had to trek there and it included crossing a river! At one point we considered putting both feet in bin liners to save our trainers and then thought 'what the hec' and waded on through it! The hide itself was amazing. The facilities their were better than some of the hostels we've stayed it! it even had seperate male and female flushing toilets and showers! Such a novelty! Unfortunately, we only saw a few deer about ten o'clock at night, the rest of the time we had to find things to do as there was no other entertainment or electricity. We had a most productive evening deciding what X-men names we would be. For the record my name is Zambuc Arnica and my special power would be to prevent bruises and scratches which would be extremely helpful for someone like me who is covered in them constantly!

While in the hut we also had a great dinner. starter was tuna mix on pringles (see pics), followed by a main of either beef or chicken curry from a tin (the chicken tin had bones in it) on some bread, or beans if you perefered, or all three! Dessert was chocolate or chocolate biscuits! We also had bananna, potatoe and raisen bread (you can never have too much bread!) Not exactly 5 star, but great all the same!

One speices which we did find was leeches! I must have had about 6 leeches on me during the night and three of them drew blood! Luckily they're tiny and dont really hurt but still a bit freaky all the same! We also saw saw some wasps and a bull dozer attached to a tree- not exactly tigers and elephants but a good time was had by all.

Next on our schedule was a visit to a bat cave! It was amazing as Ive never seen so many bats in my entire life. it also involved some pot holing as some of the holes were tiny, but luckily we had Dave (who was acting tour leader) to help us out! by this point we hadnt had a proper shower for two days, had done heavy treking and also were covered in bat poo! Dont think ive ever smelt so bad in my entire life! Luckily we all did so it was OK.

The national park has now skipped into the lead and become my favourite place to go. Hope to return one day and find the infamous tigers.............

Have now left the national park (and Dave and Rob)and arrived in Kuala Lumpur and civilisation (although sometimes I think animals are far more civilised than humans!) after a very easy coach journey. And have randomly just bumped into the people we met on the night train from bangkok who Dave and Rob met somewhere else too, again and are staying in the same hostel (how confusing!)

Take care everyone and keep in touch,


Slideshow Report as Spam


eggs on

Sounds really wonderful Gem(well, most of it-the leeches would have freaked me out too!!)Glad all going well.X EGGS

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: