Happy New Year - Kuta Part 2!

Trip Start Nov 02, 2010
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Pastini Inn
Sinah Indah Hotel

Flag of Indonesia  , Bali,
Thursday, December 30, 2010

Neil and Sue say hello from Seminyak, Bali.

Hi everyone, from a very excited Mum and Dad who joined Louisa and Mark in beautiful Bali to share two weeks of their adventure with them. We hope you enjoy our ramblings!

We set out on 28th Dec after a couple of weeks panicking about the snow at Heathrow and the cross boarder fighting in Korea (we flew with Korea airlines) However, everything went to plan with no problems at all and were met at Denpasar airport by a very lovely looking Louisa and Mark around one o'clock in the morning. We jumped in a taxi after Louisa had negotiated a good price –a skill they have both perfected- and headed for the hotel. We were amazed at the amount of traffic there was, especially all the scooters and motorbikes and marvelled at the amount of people who can actually fit on one bike.  We dropped our bags at our hotel and went to a local bar to sample the first of many Bintangs- the local Bali beer.

Back at the hotel we shared out Christmas pressies, the best of which by a mile was the selection of salt and vinegar crisps we had brought for Louisa, she was a very happy girl!!

The next day or so we spent exploring the local area, sampling the local food and drink and made full use of the hotels lovely swimming pool. Neil and Mark also made full use of the lovely pool bar too and soon had some Aussie mates to chat with, some of whom were ex pats now loving their lives in Australia.

We were quite surprised how busy it was, but soon realised just how close to Australia Bali is and that a lot of people had come for a short, bank holiday break, a bit like us going to Spain really. It was also a lot bigger than we had realised with so many shops, restaurants and bars. I was in my element.

On New Year’s Eve, we chilled out by the pool for a while and in the afternoon we set of along the beach to Kuta where Louisa and Mark were staying a 20 minute walk away. Mark decided the surf looked good so hired a board and went surfing for a while. It was very hard going as the waves were huge. We tried our best to shout encouragement from 'Rosa’s bar’ on the beach, even Rosa joined in.  After calling at Louisa and Mark’s place, complete with a residential dragon, we went towards the central area of Kuta to party. We found a lovely fish restaurant   where Louisa chose King Prawns and the rest of us picked out our own Trissi, a local fish similar to red snapper which was weighed and cooked for us. It was absolutely delicious. There was even two young magicians doing card tricks at the tables who were also very good. Then we headed for the bar next door for a few drinks and sang along with the band and watched the bar staff juggling with fire!

Outside it was getting very busy with such a good atmosphere, even the occasional rain shower didn’t seem to matter. There were people selling huge fireworks which were just held up in the air and fired like bazookas!!  Several bars later, it was midnight and everyone celebrated, dancing and fireworks in the street. We eventually got in around 3 am but Louisa and Mark celebrated on and finished up partying with some surfer dudes! Needless to say, New Year’s day was a relaxed affair.

Enough chilling out, our last day in Seminyak we went white water rafting!! We were off early in the morning and after picking up another couple, headed for the hills. The roads in Bali are something else, some of them have concrete and some just have rubble but all have loads of cars, vans minibuses and countless motorbikes. There are no rules on over/undertaking and you have the freedom to use whichever side of the road you fancy so it is very entertaining as you can imagine. However there are remarkably few accidents and we arrived safely high in the mountains ready to go wet and wild. After we were kitted out with jackets and helmets and had a safety talk, we set off with our instructor Norman in the back of the boat.  To begin with it was quite tranquil and hardly any "Boom Boom’s" from Norman – his signal for us to duck down in the boat but it soon got a bit rougher and we were bouncing off the rocks and dodging the bamboo bridges. We stopped off at a very pretty waterfall for a while and then were off again. The scenery was beautiful, there is no way you could see such lovely sights any other way. As we got towards the end, we came to the Big Drop, a 3 meter waterfall. It was a bit scary as we couldn’t see over the edge at all as we came towards it, but we were all brave and landed safely. After a long walk up some very steep steps we were rewarded with a nice lunch overlooking the valley and the paddy fields. Then another exciting journey in the mini bus back to the hotel!   

Time to pack our things and get ready for the next part of our holiday           
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: