So long Asia
Trip Start Jul 08, 2008
13Trip End Jun 30, 2009
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
- The road from Siem Reap to the Thai border which is the worst we've experienced so far. The rumour being that an unnamed airline is paying them not to fix it and that it's only backpackers and locals who will pay the $10 for the unforgettable experience. Everyone else flies.
- Bangkok taxi drivers, who are the most intelligent people you will ever come across. They're so intelligent that they have perfected the ability to appear stupid thereby failing to understand anything you say, or recognise anything on a map and driving you to an arbitrary spot somewhere in the vicinity of where you to go and obviously racking up a good fare on their meters. Genius! Give them all an honorary doctorate...
- Table tennis seems to have taken off massively in Bangkok, as we were both were regularly asked if we wanted to take part in some 'ping-pong'. Not having our favourite paddles with us, we declined. Assume that's what they were talking about...
- The Ko San Road, which is more Blackpool Illuminations than the sordid backpacker flea pit that we'd read about. Altogether pretty underwhelming but managed to get hold of some nice new t-shirts and dvds!
- Working with elephants at an animal sanctuary where we got to pick up elephant poo, shovel elephant poo, climb into the poo canoe and paddle out into a small waterhole where they have their bath to scoop up floating elephant poo, feed them all day to produce yet more elephant poo which then starts the cycle all over again!
- Winning at scrabble thanks to a 75 point word from Emily - for those who are interested it was 'sequin' with the q on double points and finishing on a triple word score square. Lovely.
- Abusing our 'honeymoon' status to get an upgrade complete with our names written in petals on the bed!
- Feeling like a celebrity for all of 60 seconds when Emily was asked to pose for a photograph (in her bikini, no less) with two female Malaysian students who said they thought she was sexy! Kamal was more than happy to offer his services and take the picture.
- Being far too cool to wear a lifejacket on a boat trip in Langkawi but hastily putting it on and doing the straps up tight when the driver hit full throttle.
- Treating ourselves to a 'super VIP' bus ticket from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore which promised a meal, films and enormous reclining business class-style seats and all for only £12. You can imagine our disappointment when we were also the only two passengers for the entire five hour journey. More like super VIP taxi!
So farewell Asia. It's been fun. Tomorrow we fly to Perth in Western Australia to catch up with Ollie and Caz before stopping in Melbourne until Christmas...