Arrived in Casablanca, Morocco

Trip Start Jan 26, 2006
Trip End Mar 05, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Morocco  ,
Thursday, January 26, 2006

This morning started off so well. I was cozy in my bed and woke up at 9. Got up, saw my dog Ash, got in the shower and woke up Kieran. We held each other for a bit and soon decided it was time to really get a move on. While Kieran got ready I took Ash for a walk around the neighborhood. He was excited and happy with the new morning change (normally we just go out for a short walk first thing and wait till the afternoon to do the big one).
Just before Kier and I headed out the door to Montreal, Ash sat down and lifted his paw and but it on my leg. It broke my heart, he knew. He knew that I was going away, he saw the suitcase and he knew. I hugged him and told him to be good for Kieran and walked out the door. I miss him already.

Kieran and I drove out to Dorval Airport (now P. E. Trudeau Airport) in Montreal. It's definitely the nicest airport I've ever been in. After much chaos finding a bank machine, and last minute things, we had a nice lunch and said our goodbyes which were heartbreaking again but not as bad as when I went to Mexico for three months. I watched him drive away. I haven't stopped missing him.

The flight was about six and a half hours, and since it left at 7pm it was hard to get some good sleep on the flight. I think I rested my eyes for about 2 hours. I've basically been up for 24 hours at this point. The plane landed in Casablanca, Morocco at 7am Moroccan time (2am my time). I had hoped (because the man who checked me in said it was possible) that the airport would be able to get me a hotel for the 13 hour layover in Casablanca before my flight to Er Rachidia. Unfortunetly I learned that they only do that for international flights, not local, so I've been hanging around the Mohammed Airport doing whatever I can to not pass out or die of boredom. The good news is that my luggage was checked through all the way to Er Rachidia, so I only had to lug the laptop around. The other good news is that I have survived till 6pm, the flight boards at 7 so things are looking up ;)

Outside the airport it has been storming all day, rain and wind and cold wind at that. I haven't stepped outside due to that but I can feel the cold drafts from outside coming in through the windows and walls.

I am so deliriously tired at this point I'm not even sure I could sleep. I did curl up in a little ball for about an hour around noon but really just rested. I was too uncomfortable to actually let myself sleep. It's now 1pm my time and I am running on barely 2 hours sleep (if you could call it that).

I am still looking forward to my time in Morocco though. As much fun as it has been here in the smoke filled terminal of Mohammed Airport I think I'm ready to actually get out there and see Morocco for real. I think it'll be a country that I will want to return to, visit Marrakech and Rabat and perhaps even explore Fez and Casablanca.
Report as Spam


taylorjessie on

hey u
Wow that sounds like quite an adventure your heading into. That so sad leaving Ash n Kieran behind! But hopefully not for long? I hope everything will be awesome for you out there. I hope to hear lots about it. Have a great time out there and think of me. hehe.
love you

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: