Trek - Nagarkot to Dhulikhel, Down the mountain

Trip Start Nov 14, 2008
Trip End Jan 14, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Royal Hotel

Flag of Nepal  ,
Friday, November 21, 2008

Again after a good rest my legs and feet recovered somewhat.
The guide pointed out a tower on a nearby mountain, and said that's were we are heading before going down the other side. This time we walked up a sealed road in the shade and surprisingly I made it to the top in around 2 hours with only a brief photo stop.
The mountain summit was a dump with the guide saying it was a picnic place. It seems the idea of taking your rubbish away with you has not hit Nepal yet.
When you go up then you eventually go down, and down we did. This time down tracks where one always needs to be careful of where you put your foot. One ends up zigzagging down the roads to following the most even path. Eventually we hit a reasonable sized town in the Kathmandu valley. Having crossed the mountain range we were now in full sun and having descended many hundreds of metres it became decisively warmer which was not aided by walking along bitumen roads.
After a lunch break in a reasonable sized town, I was given a choice of a 5 minute bus or a 20 minute walk along the road to Dhulikhel. It seemed cheating to catch a bus on a trek when one could walk, maybe I`m just a masochist. I questioned my choice when I found I could not get up, my big thigh muscles had pulled tight in protest of the workout I was giving them. Hobbling on like an invalid with all watching in amusement they eventually eased up allowing me to walk on. 30 minutes into the 20 minute walk I asked if we were close and was told it would be about 20 minutes. The 20 minute walk took nearly 2 hours but we eventually got to Dhulikhel and at the hotel I collapsed on the bed. I wanted a shower but could not muster the energy or get the muscles to co-operate for an hour or so.
Despite being in a small town the restaurant at the hotel offered a vast array of world dishes but I went for the Nepali set dinner.
The guide was thoughtful and set me up in a room at the back away from the street noices. What he had not catered for was a school group turning up late. It was mayhem as the girls trying all the rooms for the best bed. There was no need for an alarm clock as before dawn to chorus of many vocal girls, and after a brief chant they were off.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: