Wow, it's an actual travel blog :)
Trip Start May 28, 2008
60Trip End Aug 26, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
--- Good philosophy and advice from a friend ---
Since announcing our intention to travel around the world this summer, many friends and family have been asking for updates or a way to follow us during our trip. We generally prefer to live our lives privately, so we found a cool travel blog we could use to share our adventure with friends and family yet still keep private with a password. Yay!
I don't know how often we'll be able to update it, but we'll give it a try from Internet Cafes along the way, and we'll take turns updating it so you will hear from each of us as we experience new cultures, histories, and languages.
Some have questioned my sanity for resigning from a stable job to take this trip, so I'll address that one right up front:
- I believe we need to the make the most of our short lives
- I believe travel is a virtue, and that we should each take time to travel outside our own borders
- I believe I have learned, grown, and changed for the better during all of my trips abroad
- I believe my wife and children should have the same opportunity
- I believe it is important to show our children that there are other ways of living, other ways that societies function, and other perspectives on global affairs
I have grown up during an accelerating period of globalization, I endeavor to have a global world view, I tell others that they should travel, and now I'm putting my money where my mouth is. For the record, I did try three times for a summer sabbatical but my management would not approve it. C'est la vie; I have adequate skills and talents to find work and earn a living again when I get home.
There is also the matter of the of the right "windows" in life for adventure, and for us the window is open. Laura and I don't have college classes this summer for the first time in years, Laura is not working this summer for the first time in years, and our children are now old enough to remember and learn but not so old that they don't want to travel with parents or are otherwise buried in the efforts of college or work.
I have never been afraid to make bold moves to improve my life, and I sincerely believe I am doing the best thing I have ever done for my family... so far.
Here's a map that shows where we plan to go: