Trip Start Aug 17, 2009
Trip End Jul 15, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hostel el Guembe

Flag of Argentina  ,
Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The bus trip from Salta over to Puerto Iguazu took twenty five hours but compared to other bus trips we´ve been on this one was luxury.  We had comfy, wide seats with plenty of room for each of us, movies that were in English with Spanish subtitiles rather than the other way around and lots of food that was edible!!!  The twenty five hours passed very easily and we were in Puerto Iguazu before we knew it. 

The heat coming off the bus was something else.  It was like a wall.  Very nice at the start, I was thinking oh this is nice, very hot, pleasant enough but let me tell you it didn´t last long.  After a couple of hours walking around the town, which was all shut up for siesta, I was longing for some air conditioning.  And the heat didn´t let up.  It was constant, even at ten o clock at night we were sitting down outisde the hostel and we were still dripping!  Very attractive!  It was kind of a dead heat, where even breathing is difficult and it didn´t let up.  The humidity was up at something like 90% so you can only imagine.  

We had booked a place to stay because we were warned that that Iguazu could be chock-a-block around this time of year.  It was a different feeling , getting off the bus and actually knowing where we were going rather than the usual getting into a station, finding a tourist information desk and then wandering around for an hour or two looking at one hostel after another until we finally decide on the first one we went to!!  No, this time it was different.  The hostel was basic enough, we were in a dorm room but the it had air conditioning so we were happy.  Brian took no time at all making friends with the little old dear who worked behind the desk, practising his Spanish or so he says!

There wasn´t much to see in Iguazu.  It seems to be one of those towns that caters for the ´main attraction´ and not much else.   We chilled out that evening with some people we´d met in the hostel .  Early start in the morning.  We took the bus out to the falls.  It was about thirty minutes from the town and we got there just after ten o clock.  Already it was about 37degrees, crazy!  We wandered around the park for a good four hours.  There were paths to follow so it wasn´t aimless wandering.  The park itself was extremely well laid out and there were signs to guide you on whatever trail you were following.  As for the waterfalls, my god they were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.  Legend has it that a god who was destined to marry a beautiful aborigine became angry when she ran off with another lover. In his anger he tore the river upon which they were travelling creating the waterfalls which condemned the runaway lovers to fall eternally.  The Iguacu river, above the falls, is broken by a series of cataracts and jungly islets - then it opens to a width of four kilometres and plunges down in 275 individual waterfalls.  We were really lucky because the previous two or three weeks had seen massive rain fall in Brazil so the falls were huge when we got there.  The sheer volume of water was mind blowing.  And the noise ....... it was like we were in a plane the whole time.  You know that constant hum you get when you're flying?  Well, that was what it was like.  Not engines though, this time it was from water crashing down onto the rocks below.  Incredible!!! 

It's hard to describe how amazing these falls are and I can only hope that the pictures do them better justice.

We took a boat ride out into the middle of the Devils Throat (Garganta del Diablo) which was awesome.  (Only word I can use, sorry).  There were about twenty of us in the boat and the driver first brought us out towards the Devil's Throat so that we could take pictures.  We were surrounded by water.  It was crazy and just over the top of the throat was Brazil.....mad.  The driver then took us around the corner to get a closer look at the other waterfalls and then, once we'd put our cameras into the waterproof bags provided, he proceeded to drive us INTO the waterfalls.  It was amazing!!!!  Remember the day was so hot that this freezing cold free shower was like all our Christmasses had come at once.  You couldn't open your eyes the force of the water was so strong but the roar of the water and the sheer power was just incredible.  The driver took us back around and did the same thing into the Devil's Throat.  We were well and truly soaked by the time we got back onto dry land.  Nice and cool though!

We got back into Iguazu just after four and had another lazy night.  We met up with an Irish couple we'd met on the bus and had dinner with them but it was tame enough.  They'd been out to the falls aswell so we were all a bit wrecked.  The heat was really wiping us out. 

The following day we took a bus down to Cordoba. 
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html:

Table of Contents