Getting it ready to use.

Trip Start Jan 01, 2009
1
2
Trip End Jan 01, 2009


Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
shadow
Where I stayed
Kooser State Park

Flag of United States  , Pennsylvania
Monday, May 4, 2009

Well last time we talked about how we came to own an RV.  Now that we have it home and I have recovered, it's time to get rolling on the repairs.  The first order of business was taking care of the roof leak.  In order to buy myself some time, I bought a cover to place over it until spring.  We started our research on how to do the repair.  Lucky for me, the roof was not really in that bad of shape.  The damage was contained to some cracks in the rubber membrane just above the side rail.  After completing some Internet research and going to an RV show where we had the opportunity to speak with an RV technician, we decided the roof could be repaired with a tape.  We looked at several manufacturers and decided on EternaBond. 
 
EternaBond produces a rubber roof tape product available in widths from 2 inches to 48 inches.  The 12-inch was perfect for our repair.  We placed the tape starting at the side rail and rolled it up over the roof by using two rolls.  We were able to go the entire length of the roof with no seams.  After using the tape, we sealed the entire roof with a rubber roof primer and paint.  The best part was Lisa and I were able to handle the entire job ourselves saving about $4,500 based on a few estimates we got.
 
Once the roof was taken care of, I turned my attention to repairing the wall under the passenger's window.  Somewhere along the way the passenger mirror fell off or came very loose I'm not real sure, but the repair solution at that time was to run bolts through the wall.  It was a functional repair but astatically disappointing.  This situation provided me the opportunity to excavate the wall to see how the RV was built.  That was a very interesting experience.  I was able to excavate out the plywood Styrofoam insulation and yet another layer of plywood to expose the back of the fiberglass siding.  After rebuilding the excavated area with plywood and some 2 x 10 pine, we have a very solid mirror and a pleasing repair inside.  We did not match the wallpaper inside but chose to use a vinyl covering instead.
 
Those were our major repairs and all that was left was cleaning.  Boy did we clean!  There were water stains on the ceiling and general wear that needed to be taken care of.  We were overall very successful in our efforts; the water stains have lightened significantly but are not completely gone yet.
 
It wasn't until our first test trip that we realized there were a few more projects to undertake. The trip was impromptu.  We took a trip to Kooser State Park because it was the first park we found locally that would allow dogs. It was late though and pulling into a park after dark the first time out was not a good idea in my mind.  The girls were not accepting my rationale so we settled for the Somerset Wal-Mart. 
 
We established temporary residence in the northwest corner of the lot, which was a rather nice place.  Just outside the door there was a nice lawn and a few pine trees.  The dogs really appreciated this amenity.  The noise was very minimal considering we were surrounded by US 219 directly behind us:  an exit ramp on our right with a connector road PA 601 directly in front of us which is a connector road to the PA Turnpike.  Other than sleeping with our heads downhill, it was a wonderful spot at the right price.
 
Anyway back to the other things to fix, in the morning we discovered that although the water pump ran, the check valve was sticking and did not create enough pressure to take a shower.  Everything else was working, but there just was not enough to run the shower.  Of course I ordered a new water pump as soon as we got home.  However I did discover that the old one could be fixed with a simple wrap of a hammer.  Apparently there was something lodged in the check valve that worked loose with the hammer mechanics and it started to work.  I decided to install the new pump anyway and keep the old as a back up.  After all I had already ordered it.
 
Well, now that I have you all caught on getting it ready to go, it's time to get ready for the big trip.
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: