Day 7 AC: Am I starting to fall apart?

Trip Start Apr 21, 2008
Trip End Apr 20, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Nepal  , Himalayan Region,
Saturday, November 22, 2008

Start Point: Manang (3500 meters)
End Point: Manang (3500 meters)

I had a crappy sleep last night. We were interrupted by an intruding mouse for most of the night. I had to get up a few times trying to get the mouse to escape our room. He was a tiny bugger but man did it make a lot of noise. Once I spotted him coming out of Chris' daypack where he was feasting on some chocolate. The mouse definitely hit the jackpot in our room as Chris had his food lying around. Even after we hung everyone's food on the wall, the mouse still kept coming back. Eventually I just ignored it and went to sleep. For most of the night I heard it crawling across the floor or rummaging through empty plastic bags we left on the ground.
We didn't trek today. Instead we decided to take expert advice and stay in Manang to help get acclimatized to the altitude. All of us did go for a short hike together during the day. We first walked towards the Gangapurna glacier. It was a nice walk. Because of Sam's religious beliefs, he wasn't allowed to operate a camera (or any other electronic gadget) today (being Saturday). Therefore I took his camera and took photos for him for the rest of the day. I didn't mind at all. He had an awesome camera.

Unfortunately I didn't think we went high enough to help us get better acclimatized so after lunch Sam and I decided to walk up one of the peaks which was at 3850 meters. It was a bit of a struggle as it was a bit steep. Furthermore, my left knee is giving me more problems. It is hurting more and more as each day passes. The steep climb (and descent) definitely didn't help make it feel better.
Besides my knee problems, I am suffering from other issues. First, I am having some stomach problems. Luckily I don't have diarrhea however my stomach constantly feels like it is tied in knots. It's a pretty uncomfortable feeling. Second, I am not peeing enough. I don't know if this is a problem or not but I after my morning pee I don't pee for the rest of the day. Perhaps I am sweating everything out. I don't know. But it concerns me a bit. I'll have to monitor the situation. It is a good thing that we decided to rest today.
After Sam and I returned from our mini trek (we took a wrong turn somewhere and got lost and eventually had to cruise down on our bums because of the steep drop), I took a quick shower and then headed to the nearby clinic where I was told I could find some water purification tablets. I didn't bother talking to the doctor (who also happened to be Canadian) about my ailments as I didn't want to pay the consultation fee. I did find the water purification tablets though. I was glad to get my hands on them.
By 830 we were all in bed. I asked Sam and Chris to hang all of their food on the wall so that the mouse would not bother us again. We'll see if the little guy returns.
Dino Vagabond
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: