Niagara Falls and New York City

Trip Start Jan 27, 2010
Trip End Apr 28, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , New York
Thursday, March 25, 2010

We woke up to a better day on Wednesday, the sun was shining but it was cold outside at 8 am, it was only 1 degree. We went and had another look at the falls, it was a lot clearer that the day before. The amount of water flowing over them is amazing and we think the Horseshoe Falls are the most spectacular one of the three falls. We went and had a look at the barge which we had read about. In 1918 the barge loaded with rock broke free from a tugboat on the upper river. Just before going over the falls two men on board opened the dumping hatches in the bottom of the barge, which then grounded it in its present location. It was interesting. We went and had a look at the outlet shops, Alan's shoes which were new when we started this trip are already falling apart and hurting his feet so we went and found him a new pair. Clothes and shoes are pretty cheap here.  On the way to and from the outlets we saw quite a few squirrels and most of them were black, we haven’t seen any of that color before now. We got to use our bathers for only the second time of our trip at our hotel which had a heated indoor pool and spa, it was nice. We enjoyed Niagara Falls, there was hardly any people around and some of the places had closed for winter on the doors. I think visiting now was good because in Summer I think the place would be packed with people.

We had yet another early start today because we had over 400 miles to drive to New York. We walked back across the Rainbow Bridge and through the USA border and walked back to our car. We drove on highways all the way and went through a few tolls. We saw quite a few deers near the side of the road. It was a pretty good drive, hardly busy at all except when we got about 5 miles from the La Guardia airport which is only 3 miles from Manhattan. We had to drop the rental car off there and we didn’t go too bad getting to the airport, except we took one wrong turn, but the GPS recalculated and we were back on track. We got a shuttle bus from the airport to Central Station for only $5 each and we decided to just walk the 10 blocks (the blocks aren’t very big) to our hotel, which is in a very good location on 28th street. The empire state building is only a couple of blocks away and there are plenty of places to eat near the hotel. The room is pretty good and the shared bathroom is newly renovated. We dropped our things off and got subway for a late lunch, which is next to our hotel. We walked 10 blocks to Times Square which was packed with people. The weather was pretty good but the next few days are forecast to be sunny but cold. We’ve got a week here in New York.  We don’t have Wi-Fi at our hotel and I am posting this from the Mcdonalds around the corner from our hotel.

Bye for now Dianne and Alan
Slideshow Report as Spam


Tara Ralph on

Hi Dianne and Alan,
Are you going to New Jersey to see Jon??????

dianne.kennett on

Hi Tara, we did drive through a bit of New Jersey on the way here in New York, but we didn't see Jon!! I think he is still on a USA tour and was in Washinton and couple of days after us.

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: