Brighlingsea next stop
Trip Start May 06, 2008
130Trip End Sep 30, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Once back on board and whilst we waited for Rosemary & the boys, Elaine and I took a stroll and Julie went off to the village to shop. The weather was still good at this juncture and we were able to watch an little egret, blindingly white, go about its' business in the muddy waters of Woodrolfe creek. How do they keep so clean?
Rosemary and the boys were back for lunchtime and it was good to see them again
Our plan for the rest of the week was to sail out to Brightlingsea this afternoon, then back into the Blackwater to Bradwell Marina, then down the coast to the River Crouch and anchor in the River Roach, then down further to the mouth of the Medway then on Friday, take the tide and go up the Thames as far as Tower Bridge, to St Katherine's Dock. That was the plan, but the weather might have a significant impact on that.
We were off and away by about 14:00, waving constantly to two young men who took it upon themselves to run along the embankment parallel to our path. They are great boys, we enjoy their company and it was sad saying goodbye as we knew how much they wanted to be on board with us. Still, their turn will come one day, they can buy their own boats and have their own adventures, should they wish to.
We had 30 knots of wind at times, albeit it was mostly in the low 20's. We bowled along under the genoa alone, covering the ground at over 8 knots. That meant that the journey to Brightlingsea was over almost as soon as it started and we were on the pontoons, or at least rafted against another boat on the pontoons, in the middle of the river, by 16:00.
There is no access to shore here and the water taxi service, now that it was September, was weekends only, the harbourmaster doubling as a taxi in the meantime but stopping at 19:00. That meant that a shore visit for dinner was impractical unless I inflated our dinghy, so dinner on board was the option selected. The forecast for the forthcoming 24 hours was dire, with the chance of a gale, so we reconciled ourselves to being in situ for some time.