On the beach for a full moon party!

Trip Start Jul 31, 2007
Trip End Dec 15, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Thursday, November 22, 2007

A quick plane flight from Chang Mai to bangkok, and then an overnight train and a ferry brings us to the famous Island of Phangan.  It is amazing not just because of the beautiful blue green water and sandy secluded beaches, but because of the large party that happens every full moon.  We stayed one beach over from the main party beach as it was much cleaner and quieter.  It was a good decision. We stayed in a nice but simple bungalow that was on stilts with a great view of the water. Aside from hanging out on the beach and watching movies at night there wasn't to much going on, and that was fine by us. 

On our first night there, (thanksgiving ironically) we both became sick with food poisoning from some bad mayo.  David was really sick and spent the next day in bed with a fever.  Thanksgiving was the only dinner we skipped during the entire trip.

On the 25th was the full moon.  We took a boat taxi over to the busy beach and we were just shocked.  While we were still to far away on the boat to see individual buildings we could already hear the base of the speakers set up along the beach.  We arrived at the party at about 10 but it wasn't in full swing until about 12:30.  People drink alcohol by the bucket (a .375 ml bottle of alcohol, a can of soda and a red bull with some ice) that are sold all along the beach.  Each of the bars on the beach has DJs and huge speaker arrays.  The average age was probably about our age, but we saw some families and older couples as well.  People were hanging out and dancing all up and down the beach.  There were fire spinners doing shows and people doing body painting.  There were some large fire signs with the words "full moon party" and "amazing Thailand" (the official tourist slogan).  We people watched and danced on the beach. We left for our quite beach next door at about 4:30 am, as we were still recovering from our food poisoning. When we left there were probably over ten thousand people still dancing.  The next day we were sitting out on the beach and we saw a group of very drunk people coming back from the party at 11 am. 

It was a fun experience, and it was definitely worthwhile crossing most of Thailand just to make it in time for the party.

Next stop: Kanchanaburi
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: