Difficult start to London

Trip Start Apr 25, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , London, City of,
Monday, April 30, 2012

In the days leading up to my departure, I knew that the
initial few days of my trip were going to be difficult. In this case, I hate that
I'm right.

The situation hasn’t been helped by the fact that London
people (in general) are simply rude. They are snobby, inconsiderate and full of
their own importance. When I arrived I had serious trouble getting through
immigration, and every pommy poof I asked for help just turned away. About four
hours after landing I managed to get out of the airport, so exhausted that I
didn’t even realise there was a Hilton hotel connected to the airport. This
would have been the ideal option given I was jetlagged and in need of a hot
shower, but I ended up at a dodgy hostel nearby instead, and with the insane taxi
charge added on I would have been paying little extra at the Hilton for a much
more luxurious experience.

This hostel reminded me of the sort of place men go to
grieve after their wife has kicked them out of home. As I walked in I ignored
the bar fight that was going on and proceeded to a tiny cold cabin to had a freezing
cold shower. I would have been content if I had a working internet connection,
but that failed. I couldn’t wait to leave and get back to the airport the next
morning, which was 20 times cheaper by bus rather than by taxi. Finally I was
able to figure things out and managed to make my way into central London, where
my couch surfing buddy Ronnie met up with me.

Ronnie is a very nice guy, and was very kind to let me stay
at his place given he was moving in the next few days. He lives in Brixton, one
of the rougher suburbs of inner London. When I arrived it was obvious why he
was moving as his place was falling apart in the middle of a construction site.
There was no shower or internet, and the makeshift heating system being used was
the kitchen stove. Despite this I was finally able to sleep of the jetlag, and
woke up the next morning to the sound of drilling and the smashing of bricks
and windows. I’ve slept through worse before. It’s much more disturbing when
you have a guy smashing on the door at 2am yelling in an Italian accent "This
is the police! Open the door." This was my experience the following night, and
given the British police have British accents I suspected something entirely
different was going on, and went to call the police. As it turned out, it was just
the landlord wanting something from Ronnie, but it’s not something anyone wants
to experience on their first visit to a foreign country. It’s time for me to
check into a youth hostel.

As appreciative as I was of Ronnie’s hospitality, he
understood my need for a shower, working internet, and a toilet that actually flushed.
This is not to mention the fact that I don’t like having the everlasting piss scared
out of me at 2 in the morning. Hopefully in a hostel I can meet like-minded
people who are in the same boat as I am. It’s been a rough start and I can’t
wait to share some more positive stories in my next blog entry. We’ll see how
the next phase of my trip goes, but it surely can only get better from here.

Slideshow Report as Spam


dirmansuharno on

Great post!

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: