Trip Start Jun 08, 2009
Trip End Jul 20, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Sunday, July 5, 2009

We took a 12 hour journey over land, sky and water to arrive on Magnetic Island. The trip encompassed stopovers at Gingerland, a visit to Australia’s best barista - I of course did not indulge in any coffee as per my 5 year bet (thanks Jeff) and the absolute highlight, a giant pineapple. After the exhausting day all we wanted was to relax. Upon arrival at the most magnificent hostel we had ever seen we were dumbfounded when the receptionist proclaimed that she had never heard of us. Michelle, who had booked the hostel and was certain that this locale was indeed our own, finally checked her receipt. She was sorely mistaken and so we bought a large pitcher of Australia’s finest beer- not actually fine at all - and waited another hour for the next bus to take us the proper location. Which was of course, a shit hole. Not only did it resemble a prison but the girl’s bathroom was located through a maze of staircases, laundry rooms and minotaurs.   We spent the next couple days climbing on boulders, basking in the sun and snorkeling. It was my first outdoor rock experience and it shan’t be my last. While on the rocks we were greeted by a wallaby and took a lovely hike to find koalas. Koalas are lazy beasts; sleeping 22 hours a day and rarely moving from their branch. In fact, in their entire lifetime they generally inhabit just one eucalyptus tree. Late one afternoon we came across Jimmy, a koala who was both awake and active. To our delight he ate leaves, moved his head, flapped his ears and most significantly he jumped to a new branch. We were glad to witness such a momentous occasion in Jimmy’s life and wish him a big mazel tov!.   We left Magnetic Island and made our way to Mission Beach where we stayed at another crappy hostel. This one provided no pillow cases nor blankets but what it did provide was access to insanity. Eric and I signed away our lives, told Michelle we were organ donors and planned to board a plane which was bound to land without us. We were going to skydive. For days I was adamant about doing a quick 15 second freefall, while risky Rico was set on a full 60 seconds. However upon spending a steep $150 on a photographer that was to jump alongside me and capture each stupid second, I was quickly persuaded to freefall for an entire minute - anything for a good facebook profile pic. With a very brief chat about safety we loaded into a tiny propeller plane and off we went, climbing not one, not two, not even ten but a whopping fourteen thousand feet. For those of you who can’t calculate, that’s really fucking high. And then it was time to jump. The door was open and we were each instructed to place our legs under the plane, tilt our heads back and prepare for the flight of our lives. It was insane. Plain and simple the craziest thing I have ever done. We quickly reached terminal velocity and could not tell how quickly we were dropping. Instead we took in the view, screamed and posed for our respective cameramen. All of a sudden my guide started doing spins in the air and he did them fast. Due to the fact that we were falling 9000 feet he was unable to hear my demand that he stop immediately. This had dire consequences for as my parachute opened so did my mouth and out came breakfast at 6000 feet. I get sick on planes, trains and automobiles, to name a few, but it somehow escaped me that falling 14000 feet out of the sky might upset my tummy. Anyway, I landed but Eric didn’t. Sorry mom….
 Just kidding he did. My body was entirely drained by the adrenaline rush and I barely made it to the next windy bus ride, which made me only mildly nauseous.  
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: