Melbourne and area

Trip Start Jan 13, 2006
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Wow, so i extracted myself from Wanaka - it was extremely tempting to never leave, and insanely difficult to leave my friends at the backpackers, we'd got to know each other so well... anyways - the nomadic life strikes again i suppose. I had to stay the night in Christchurch and luckily a friend living there was able to pick me up and let me crash at her place in the nearby country and then drive me to the airport. It was real cool because i had no plans otherwise. I spent the next night in the Auckland Airport as i arrived there in the evening and had to book in for my flight to melbourne by 4:40am. So that was fun! But it did give me time to mail off the only four postcards i managed to send off - the lucky recipients are those who i happened to have the full mailing address of on me.

Arriving in Melbourne was a hell of a shock. After living in a ski village where i had retaught myself to be trusting - never locking my bike up, lending things out, living in a hostel where the doors never lock etc. and then jumping into the multi-million populated metropolitan mayhem of Melbourne - well, it made me feel like the country bumpkin - gawking at the crowds and cars and insanity. It was a pretty weird feeling. I also happened to book a hostel in one of the sketchiest areas - so it was a double shock. So my instinct was get the fuck out. I contacted many wwoofing spots and settled on one a couple hours out which was mainly a horse farm which worked with rehabilitating lame horses. I stayed there for just about a week. It was a fun life, but tiring and a tough comparison with being a professional skibum among a community of friends. But it was interesting - waking up for 7am, feeding two dozen horses, giving medicines, letting the geese out, feeding the chickens (overcoming my intense fear of chickens in the meantime), letting the dog out, sometimes caring for 3 and 5 year sisters, i got to ride a stallion sometimes, shovelled shit (literally) and yeah, lived teh farm life. Unfortunately the woman running the show was pretty stressed out, as her husband is gone often. She got a little snappy at the end so i made my leave promptly (three days ahead of schedule). So i returned to Melbourne (ugh) and went to the public library for some research (i hadn't read anything on australia yet and don't have one of those tourist books), Official realization #53 of the trip - I'm so cool and easy-going with everything that when left on my own to make big decicisions, i wither... so for several hours i sat and researched the country i suddenly found myself in. I was going to do more wwoofing nearby and save a tonne of money, or blowout and check out one of the real cool attractions that Australia has to offer. I jumped from one idea to the next (literally one coast or the other), and then finally decided on a ridiculous 2000km journey over the next five days. As i had to return to Melbourne to meet Scott's girlfriend on the 27th before she goes back to Canada.

So i will go to Adelaide over night on the bus, arrive at 5:30am, spend the day, then take another (ugh) overnight bus to Alice Springs, (6pm to 3pm) and be in the Northern Territory - desert land. Then checkout Uluru Rock (famous giant red monolith - largest in the world, with great Native spiritual importance). Then fly to Adelaide, then overnight bus back to melbourne and arrive 6am for Poeli's last day before she flys out the following morning. I should be in great shape! It will cost tonnes of money, but damnit, i'll see desert, kangaroos in the wild and a giant red rock that doesn't belong.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: