Let's go to London on a A380

Trip Start Apr 22, 2012
Trip End May 04, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Our house

Flag of Australia  , Victoria,
Sunday, April 22, 2012

During the usual last minute packing and madly trying to get organised, I get called into work on Saturday, which didn't help. Whilst at work Qantas called to check us in and asked if we would like a massage before the flight. Andrew usually has one but I booked both of us in this time, but they only had 2 vacancies at 1.10pm. So I then had to organize the car to pick us up half an hour earlier, in order for us to get into the lounge early enough. No big deal, as it just means I might have more time for a bit of duty free shopping before we board.

So Sunday comes, we do a few things at home and before we know it, the car arrives to pick us up. We get to the airport in great time and go into the first class check in, with plenty of time to spare.
We are given our immigration cards and the staff take our luggage and before we know it we are on our way. We have express boarding passes and get to the immigration line and find the express queue has about 20 people in it and the regular line is empty. I work out pretty quickly that people are sheep and just follow whoever is in front of them. They soon work out that most people are meant to be in the other queue and we sail through. I also get picked for the explosion swabs ( why do I get nervous when this happens?)
Next we head to the first class lounge and make it to our massage appointments with a few minutes to spare. Half an hour passes too quickly, and Drew and I float to the restaurant for a light meal before our flight.
Now anyone that has read my blogs before, knows I am into food porn in a big way, so if you aren't just skip this bit and look for the next * to continue (Kaz this means YOU)
A glass of Bollinger or 3 for me and a lemon lime and bitters for the hubby ( don't worry he makes up for it on the flight) I order a fresh buffalo mozzarella & heirloom tomato salad, followed by Salt & pepper calamari. Nice but the tomatoes didn't have a lot of flavour ( sorry Neil Perry) Drew isn't very hungry so orders a Wagu beef burger & fries ( he is saving himself for the flight meal)
* we board the plane and get comfy in our seats/suites. We are on the A380 again in seats 4a & 5a (andrews usual 3a was already booked by someone else) i get my music ready for take off and decide on Patrick Hernandez's "Born to be alive" will be appropriate. All's well in the world.
It takes a bit for an A380 to get off the ground and considering this is the same day that the repaired a380 jet, Nancy Bird Walton flew back to Australia after her near catastrophe, it's a sigh of relief when we reach assent and all is well.

Just before take off, the captain came and introduced himself to us. Andrew got chatting about flying and was then invited into the cockpit after we land in Singapore, so that should be interesting.
We then are given our pajamas and toiletry bag. I change into pj's after we take off, as it saves crushing your own clothes. You can always tell who is the seasoned traveller, by who changes into their jimmy jams early into the flight or even before take off, yet the later worries because what happens if they decide that we have to disembark? You'd have a handful of people standing in the airport wearing jammies.

We get our menus *and Andrew decides on the tasting menu, which consists of just about everything, canapés of Tartlet of spencer gulf prawns with tomato aioli, ricotta and Feta fritters, cream of pumpkin soup with croutons, San Daniele Prosciutto with hummus, green beans,butter lettuce and Merlot vinaigrette.
Pan fried salmon with caramalised witlof, crushed peas and preserved lemon dressing,
Rack of Castricum Brothers Lamb with pearl barley, cauliflower purée and Harissa,
Side salad, followed by Pear and Vanilla cake with Creme anglaise, cheese plate and a selection of cacao hand made chocolates.
I had a similar menu without the lamb & dessert was a chestnut torte with blueberries& cream. Lovely flavour indeed.
*I managed to watch the movie My Week with Marilyn, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We now have 5 hours of the flight left and I'm not sure if I should get some sleep or not.

Eventually we arrive in Singapore and make the 15 minute trek to the first class "cafeteria". We don't have time for a shower, as Andrew spent a while in the cockpit before we disembarked. So we just have time to get a cold drink but the place is hideously packed, with no chance of finding a seat - ridiculous. So we wander through some shops and then trek back to the gate.
In Singapore you have to proceed back through security, so that's a pain. We eventually reboard for our last leg to London.
*light snacks of hot & sour soup and then my mandatory steak sandwich.
We then have our beds made and snuggle down for a 5 hour sleep. I wake at midnight London time and have 5 hours before we land.
We are given coffee and cakes ( not one to eat cake in the wee small hours though). Breakfast will be served in 2 hours, so Drew & I might go upstairs and sit in the lounge, so we can chat. P
Slideshow Report as Spam


Belinda on

Omg the food, very fancy

Kazza on

Good job as usual honey, and yes skipped the food commentary and photos :)

Stephen Plater on

dooint rough I see !!

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: